Author Topic: Formula Help for our Men's Church group  (Read 4106 times)

sdemmy

• View Profile
Formula Help for our Men's Church group
« on: September 05, 2007, 11:15:22 AM »
Hi, I have had TD for a long time, and have only used the Timer for my home games, now I'm in charge of keeping stats for our Men's Poker Church League.  There are no buy-ins as we play for points, fun and fellowship, and have a final tourny at the end of the season.  I have never been great with math, and just don't want to screw things up with a silly mistake so if someone could help me understand how to set it up, I would be greatly appreciative.  Points that are earned are actually bonus chips that players will have to start with at the final tourny of the year, so the stats have to be totaled after each event.

Everyone who plays gets 100pts.
Hits are worth 20pts. each
final 10 players get extra points as follows:
10th=300, 9th=400, 8th=500, 7th=600, 6th=700, 5th=800, 4th=900, 3rd=1000, 2nd=1200, 1st=1500
We also get a consulation table running when enough people get knocked out and that winner gets 100 bonus chips ( I know those points can be manually adjusted and added after the main tournament is finished)

I have little clue on how to set up this formula, and how do I put it in to TD to figure out each events stats and for the season stats totals?

I thank whomever can give me guidence and direction, God bless...

Scott

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Formula Help for our Men's Church group
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 01:14:51 PM »
Code: [Select]
100 + (nh * 20) + if(r < 11, 200 + ((11-r) * 100)) + if(r == 1, 300) + if(r == 2, 100)

... or

100 + (nh * 20) + if(r < 11, 200 + ((11-r) * 100)) + switch(r, 1, 300, 2, 100)

... or

100 + (nh * 20) + switch(r, 1, 1500, 2, 1200, 3, 1000, 4, 900, 5, 800, 6, 700, 7, 600, 8, 500, 9, 400, 10, 300)

Take your pick.

Set this in the Points for Playing field on the Game tab.

sdemmy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 07:22:58 PM »
Corey,

Thanks so much for your help, it worked great..  Does TD have a list of formulas for simply tallying all the scores for each event and keeping a running total?  I got the stats to list correctly, just having some trouble with the over scoring aspect of the stats tab.

Thanks again,
Scott

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 10:28:29 AM »
Well, you are awarding Points to players, so the Stats should tally the Points automatically.

"Score", as defined on the Stats tab, is a little different.  That allows you to arbitrarily create scores for players for each tournament, then manipulate those scores to arrive at an Overall Score for each player.

Since you are working with Points, you shouldn't need to deal with Score formulas.  The Points column should show the total points for each player.

sdemmy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 08:49:13 AM »
Corey,

Hey for some reason the formulas have not been working..  We just had our second event, the first event's scores needed tweaking for some reason guys were given more points than they should have gotten, some of them double.  Event 2 basically from 6th place down all were shorted a couple hundred points.  I'm very confused and had to go under the players tab and manually adjust their points there to make them correct.  I tried all 3 formulas and they all do the same.  The only adjustment I made was changeing 2nd place points to 1300 instead of the 1200 I told you.  I am attaching my 2 events, plus the corrected results (html) maybe you can see what i screwed up on or if their is a hitch in the setup somewhere.  I appreciate your guidance. 

God Bless,
Scott

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 10:08:46 AM »
OK, in your first tournament you have both the Points for Playing formula awarding bonus points AND the prizes awarding the same bonus points.  So, for example, the 1st place player will get an additional 1500 points from the formula, but they also get an additional 1500 points from the 1st place PRIZE.  The 1st place prize says (in the Non-monetary description field) "1500 bonus chips", but the prize is awarding 1500 bonus points.  You can't award chips.  Remove the "Points" values in the prizes, then remove the points adjustments from each player and you should see it correct itself.

In the 2nd tournament, well, I'm confused.  You mention that from 6th place down (down meaning 6th, 7th, 8th, etc, or down meaning 6th, 5th, 4th, etc) the players were all shorted a couple hundred points.  And then you mention that the only adjustment you made was to 2nd place.

However, adjustments were made to players with ranks 3, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 17.

Taking just 3rd place as an example, I do not see why you adjusted that player's points to "1280".  According to the formula (and your original description), this player should receive 100 points, plus 1000 points for finishing in 3rd place.  That's 1100.  Then add 20 points for each hit, and 3rd place made 2 hits, so that's a total of 1140.  Why do you say this player should get 1240 points?

sdemmy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 04:36:24 PM »
Corey,

I've been extremely busy and couldn't reply right away to you.  Thats one of the mysteries, in that tournament under the players tab, it lists him has 1140 points, but when the stats tally it gives him an extra 100, these are the things I'm confused about.

Scott

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 06:30:10 PM »
The 3rd place player in your second tournament is Marcos.  He received 1140 points.

He also played in your first tournament, winning 14th place and receiving 100 points.

The Stats is tallying up both tournaments.  So Marcos has received a TOTAL of 1240 points over those 2 tournaments.

I suspect the same is true for other players in those tournaments.