Author Topic: new user  (Read 2098 times)

bcis

• View Profile
new user
« on: November 12, 2008, 12:32:27 PM »
I have used the director 2 times.  I am finding the following:
We usually have 3 tables going.  No matter where I sit during the tournament, I am simply too far away (I use a wireless mouse & keyboard and a laptop) to see the icons etc and be able to control the tournament director.

If I always lock myself into the closest seat to the monitor, my poker buddies would kill me.  My wife would NOT like to have wires dangling all over and I don't think stringing wire on the ground would work (trip risk)

Any advice from some of you experts would be great.

BC

thegooser

• View Profile
Re: new user
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 12:44:08 PM »
I can't think of a good answer for you as I think you are looking for some kind of wireless or remote control solution. Someone really clever is going to work out how to control this software via text message soon, but not me.

I have the same problem when I run our games. We have rebuys so I am usually getting up to do that anyway. What I do is seat myself at the beginning closest to the laptop. Say I draw table C seat 5, I make the closest table table C, and the closest seat seat 5.

I'm sure you would be able to get a wireless mouse that would reach a lot further distance, but to be honest you would probably just have to get up to alter it.

thegooser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 12:48:42 PM »
OK, my mind has just gone on overload with the text message commands thingy. Let me speak to some really geeky friends of mine and get back to you.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 01:20:33 PM »
Is the laptop display what is displayed to the players?  Or do you have it hooked up to a larger display?  If so, maybe a wireless video connection?  That way you can drag the laptop around with you.  I have no idea if these even exist, but I cannot imagine why they wouldn't ... surely there's a need beyond the TD.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 05:11:35 PM »
I got a solution for ya... Its a wireless keyboard and mouse... Both are bluetooth and can go anywhere in 30'... The keyboard is a mini size for portability and the mouse can be used as a regular mouse or as a pointer, kinda like a Wii-mote, if you are familiar with Wii's... Its a bit pricey, but I'm gonna get one for my media center computer so I can lounge on the couch watch movies and play pokerstars --- if I can get the kids to not watch their shows  ;D

Anyways, I don't know where abouts you live so I'll post a link for what I'm talking about then you can probably look around stores where you are from or order it online

Gyration Go from newegg.com

in the review it doesn't do too well if you are doing some FPS gaming, but thats not what we need it for, right? Whats really good about this is that it is bluetooth, so you don't need line of sight so no going over people's heads making obscure arm movements! This works well if you output TD to a large monitor or TV that can be easily seen by all

There are more expensive models which probably are better (they are twice the price!) so check it out

robertchas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 12:04:50 PM »
Hi

I have the same problem where I run our weekly game there is 4 tables but all tables cant see the plasma that i have my laptop connected too, so I have purchased averkey - a vga to tv converter (resolution upto 1024x768) this has a vga loopthrough as well, so basically I configure TD to send the main screen to the extended display, the vga to tv converter is connected to a rf modulator allowing the rest of the screens view the main window, plus 1 screen still has the vga connection but the modulated picture is ok as the TD main screen icons are large.

This however does did not solve my problem of having to get up and operate TD all the time as you mention dialogue icons are to small to operate over distance, so my idea is to use one laptop or pc whatever suits and then use a smaller netbook like the asus eeepc (5-6 hour battery life) run UVNC and remotely operate the laptop or pc that is running TD.

I know this sounds a lot but the venue i run the tournament in is a bit of a layout, what do you think of this solution.

I have tried this with a pc and a laptop at home and it works well, just need to get a small form factor laptop or netbook.

Remember the remote laptop is only going to be displaying the desktop of the other so does not have to be overly powerfull.

Cheers

Chas