Author Topic: Heads-Up Tournament  (Read 5650 times)

hemi 06

• View Profile
Heads-Up Tournament
« on: January 30, 2007, 01:47:53 PM »
Hey guys,

Can anyone give me ideas on running a heads-up tourny. I know how to work it on the TD. Just wanting some advice.  Another thing is that I dont want my best league players going at each other in the first round.  Any ideas on how to seed players other than drawing out of a hat.

Phaze

• View Profile
Re: Heads-Up Tournament
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 08:19:57 PM »
Yeah man, my group wants to do a heads up tourny too. We were gonna do it last saturday but was leary for a couple of reasons. I got a good suggestion from another poker site on this and found a program that would help organize the elimination brackets. I would just have it running in the background and when the winners are all done just click on the winner in the other program and it will tell you who plays who. You still use TD for blinds and everything.Anyways, I got the programs uploaded to my webspace so you can just scoop them from there. You have so many tourny's you are allowed to play off them then you have to pay for the program... actually, I think the program is free, sort of, but you have to pay everytime you run a tournament... So your first 5 are free and then you have to play.... 30 some dollars for unlimited tournys.

Click Here

Here is another program, actually the one that was originally suggested, but  I found it too involved. It even made flyers for you to print out to advertise your event. Its mostly geared towards pool tournaments, but apparently it has features similar to TD for poker as well. I couldn't figure it out and didn't really want to use something else

Click Here

One of the reasons we didn't run our heads up was because it was felt that we needed exactly 16 players, otherwise certain players would get byes for a couple rounds, so not totally even. I myself didn't think it was too bad with 14 people (used a mock tournement to see how it went) because only 4 people got one free ride each. Still, this week we decided to try to run it again, but we are going to turn away people if there are more than 16 wanting to come.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 12:06:29 PM by Phaze »

hemi 06

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 10:46:32 PM »
thanks for the info and now can anyone answer my 2nd question.  Any suggestions on how to seed the players.  I dont want my best players battling in the first round.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 07:27:31 PM »
Both programs randomly shuffles players if you so wish

RyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 08:46:53 AM »
I did a 16-man heads up tourney last fall, in two stages.

First stage was pool play.  Randomly drew four pools (clubs, diamonds, hearts, spades) of 4 players each.  Within each pool, each player played the other three in his pool.  This way I guaranteed each player at least 3 matches for his entry fee, and avoided a "fluke" outcome with stronger or weaker players.

Second stage was an 8 person single elimination tourney.  I "seeded" a bit in that the winners of each pool, by record with tiebreakers, played the 2nd place man from another pool.  I also structured the bracket so that the reps of a pool (e.g., the diamonds pool) could not meet again until the heads up championship.

The whole thing took about 8 hours, but part of that was because I froze the blinds too soon within some pool matches and at least two went past the 2 hour mark.  When we run it again, the blinds will go up another few levels and those games would end sooner.

Hope that helps.  Let me know if you have other questions.

Ryan

interactivePoker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 12:39:20 AM »
i hold bi-weekly 96 player heads up poker tournamnet, and I have a format that I can pass to all that everyone can use...
what are you really looking for, I can help you

interactive poker

segundo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 12:52:36 PM »
I hold a heads up tournament every month and I use TD. First I create six blind rounds per heads up round. Each heads up round is 1 hr. Depending on how many entries you have determends how many blind rounds you will create. Because of time constraints  you either win by eliminating your opponent or having the most chips at the end of the headsup round. See attachment for round setup.

Round 1 10m  5-10
Round 2 10m 10-20
Round 3 10m 20-40
Round 4 10m 25-50
Round 5 10m 50-75
Round 6 10m 50-100

The schedule on top is a T1000  schedule and could be used with a chip distribution of 15 (T5) + 13 (T25) + 6 (T100)

I create as many 2 man tables as needed and one large table for the overflow if you don't have enough tables and have people waiting.

Then I use a headsup bracket spreedsheet I created to organize the players that move to the next round. Please see attached spreedsheet.

I hope this helps.

spade117

• View Profile
    • RocCityPoker.net
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 03:05:45 PM »
thanks for the info and now can anyone answer my 2nd question.  Any suggestions on how to seed the players.  I dont want my best players battling in the first round.

Then it's not truly random.
Spade

I may not like what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

The bible is the best selling fiction book of all time.

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 10:12:49 PM »
I know how to work it on the TD.

How ? or do you mean you know how to add tables of 2 ?

I'm looking for a bracket maker so I can run heads up games.
My League Website - Joomla Component for TD. Now available for Joomla 1.5, 1.7 & 2.5

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 11:46:47 PM »
yeah, I guess my links aren't working... well, I'll fix them up after this post, but I'll also post here:
The first link was to this program... looks like they updated it and you have to pay for it now: http://www.tourneyman.com/

The second one I couldn't find but here is a free one http://www.download.com/Tournament-Bracket-Builder/3000-2136_4-10724772.html

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 06:40:12 PM »
thanks.
My League Website - Joomla Component for TD. Now available for Joomla 1.5, 1.7 & 2.5

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 04:50:58 PM »
Does anyone have a system where players go into a pool that play a round robin type system, then the top 1 from each pool play the bracket to the winner ?

Just not sure how to get it done.