Author Topic: Network Data Store  (Read 2124 times)

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
Network Data Store
« on: January 23, 2012, 09:34:18 PM »
I have 2 issues when working with data stores across a network.
#1 - I cannot set browse to a network folder from within TD when setting a folder for stats.
#2 - As I mentioned often, I use flash animations in my layouts. the cell uses the <datastore>/images etc to load the swf. It won't display. I have to use the full address before it does display. The data store is set properly as well. When the data store is local using the <datastore> token works.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Network Data Store
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 11:48:07 AM »
I have 2 issues when working with data stores across a network.
#1 - I cannot set browse to a network folder from within TD when setting a folder for stats.

The "browse for folder" functionality that the TD has access to ... SUCKS.  It's terrible.  The dialog is not modal (meaning you can access the dialog "underneath" it that opened it) so the TD has to do some stupid workaround to make it sort of modal.  It doesn't allow for an initial folder to be set, so even when you "edit" a folder setting it always opens the "Browse" dialog to the "My Computer" node, forcing one to browse all the way down to the appropriate place.

Technically I CAN add a "folder" input to allow you to type in the folder name.  Problem is, if you press Enter it closes the dialog and accepts what you've input as your selection.  In other words, it doesn't cause the folder tree to "jump" to the folder you've typed.  So there's really no point.  If you have to type in the path, you might as well type it into the previous dialog that has the "Browse" button.  There's no benefit.

You can't browse to a network folder from the Browse tree control, true, IF you're using a UNC path (\\computerName\shareName).  But you can browse to a share mapped to a drive letter.  And you can type the UNC path into the path input, if you know the full path.  I'd recommend mapping the share to a drive letter.

#2 - As I mentioned often, I use flash animations in my layouts. the cell uses the <datastore>/images etc to load the swf. It won't display. I have to use the full address before it does display. The data store is set properly as well. When the data store is local using the <datastore> token works.

Not sure I follow this.  Let me see if I've got this straight:

1) Referencing your SWF file using "<datastore>/images/filename.swf" works if your Data Store is on a local disk (not a network share)
2) Referencing your SWF file using "\\someComputer\theShare/images/filename.swf" works
3) Referencing your SWF file using "<datastore>/images/filename.swf" does NOT work if your Data Store is on a network share

Does that sound right?  When your Data Store is on a network share, is it specified using a drive letter (you've got the share mapped to a drive)?

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 12:01:37 PM »
Here is the cell contents of my animation:
<embed src="<home>\images\ad1.swf" width="1600" height="175" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode=transparent>
</embed></div>

Here is the address of my data store (as entered in my laptop):
\\bravotourney\td files\The Tournament Director 2\Data

The animation will not display on the laptop. However if I remove <home> and replace it with "\\bravotourney\td files\The Tournament Director 2\Data" my animation displays.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 02:44:42 PM »
Odd.  I just tried this and it works for me using the full path, the <home> token and the <datastore> token.

<embed src="<home>\basicbuttons.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode=transparent></embed>
<embed src="<home>\basicbuttons.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode=transparent></embed>
<embed src="\\altpc\tdshare\basicbuttons.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode=transparent></embed>

Interestingly, I cannot get any form to work if the share name has a space in it.  Try removing the space from the share name.