Author Topic: Need Formula Help  (Read 3257 times)

hemi 06

• View Profile
Need Formula Help
« on: April 05, 2007, 11:23:31 AM »
i am running a mock WSOP tour. Points are based on how much money a individual wins in a tourny. We have $5, $10, and $15 buy-ins. Each person gets a point for each $ bought in. Lets say I win 1st and get $25 in a $5 game. This would give me 25 pts, plus 5 for the buy-in. Total of 30. I would like someone to make me a formula please. Here are the payouts based on how many players are playing.

$5 games

5 players - 1st - $15 2nd - $10
6 players - 1st - $20 2nd - $10
7 players - 1st - $20 2nd - $10 3rd - $5
8 players - 1st - $22 2nd - $12 3rd - $6
9 players - 1st - $22 2nd - $12 3rd - $5.50 4th - $5.50
10 players - 1st - $25 2nd - $12 3rd - $8 4th - $5

$10 games just multiply each on by 2, and $15 games just multiply by 3.

Thanks, and sorry for being difficult. We are trying to get this as nice as we can, because we play twice a week.

Phaze

• View Profile
Re: Need Formula Help
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 06:12:55 PM »
tc + tw

tc stands for Total cost plus tw, Total Winnings

buy in is $15 and there are 8 players and buddy got 3rd place.... 15 + 6 = 21 points total

Buy in is $5 and there are 10 players buddy got 1st place.... 5 + 25 = 30 points total

hemi 06

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 08:07:46 PM »
i want a formula that i can put into the system, and it throws the correct prizes every time. Corey can u take a look, please.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 09:12:46 PM »
I think Phaze gave you exactly what you asked for, or are you asking for something else and I just don't understand?

hemi 06

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 12:37:22 AM »
tc+tw did not work when tested in the points for playing area..

i had a similar post a couple months ago, that took a lot of work for you, but finally you gave me a long formula, I want a formula that puts all of the info mentioned above into it.   Make Sense.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 09:49:22 AM »
Testing tc + tw is a little hard because it depends on what you win. To properly test it you have to do a mock tournament.

The problem you are going to have is putting the prizes into the proper states. I don't know if you can put all that in for prizes. There should be no need to make a complex formula when the result is the same.

All the information that you gave can be put into a formula so that if certain conditions are met (ie. number of players and buy in amount) then certain points get awarded accordingly. That does not sort out the prizes. You still have to manually enter in the prizes for the amount of players in and all the formula does in the end is add up points that people got for their buy in and the their prizes awarded.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 12:58:13 PM »
I started making out a formula to do what you wanted but it was getting really confusing and in the end it doesn't do anything special. The bottom line, you have to assign prizes in the prize tab, and once you do that you have your buy in and your winnings done and that is exactly what you asked for.

Another reason its not good to make a big long formula is that if in the future you decide to change the winnings or the buy in, then you have to go through the formula and manually change it, and if you aren't good at formulas, that can be a major headache. With the tw + tc formula then it doesn't matter what your buy in is or what your winnings are, the points will come out accordingly.

I just can't see a way around the prize schedule. Its fine and dandy if you just do the prizes without using the program, but you still have to figure that out. One extra step of putting whatever you decide on into the prize tab then everything else works itself out for you, using the tc + tw formula.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 01:37:38 PM »
Setup Automatic prizes.  The user manual has an explanation on how to do this, but it isn't for the timid.