Author Topic: Locking Seats and Table collapse  (Read 1627 times)

Mahound

• THE ONLY time i get screwed is when i play poker!
    • View Profile
Locking Seats and Table collapse
« on: November 25, 2010, 08:01:26 AM »
i have just ran a small tournament. with 35 players. We had 6 tables of 8 seats.
I was playing in the tournament. So I locked my self into seat 1 on table 1. Because this was the nearest table to the computer and electric points.
 I had the table collapse order set so that table 5 would finished first then, 4,3,2 and lastly table 1.
Soon 3 were eliminated, down to 4 tables of 8 players so Table 5 was eliminated first. Then we lost 3 players.
Then i was in a hand and knocked out 4 people out in one hand.
When I eliminated the players from the game.
The suggested movements came up and it had moved everyone from table 1. Including myself. I had been moved to seat 1 table 3. There was still a locked sign next to my name.
any idea of why it split table 1, any idea of why it moved me?
thanks in advance

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: Locking Seats and Table collapse
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 08:39:28 AM »
When you set the collapse order, did you check the box "in the order specified" beneath it? I've never had an issue with the breaking down of tables when I had them set to an order and had that box checked.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Mahound

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 01:37:48 PM »
yes the boxes was checked.   With the collapse box open. I had put tables 6,5,4,3,2 in the left hand pane and in the right hand pane i only had Table 1. I Had both boxes checked. I have ran a couple of mock tournaments to try and duplicate this problem , but I have been unable torecreate it. this was the only time it had happened. 
It was no big problem as i just didn't tell anyone to move. I ignored the suggested move and manually dragged everyone back to the correct table. Kept an eye on it and it went forward as it was supposed to with table 1 being the final table.
cheers

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 11:27:26 PM »
From the "Table Collapsing Order Preference" dialog:

Note that the Tournament Director will attempt to follow your specifications given here, but possible tournament conditions may prevent it from following the ordering precisely.

From the user manual (section 12.9):

When a player is locked in their seat, the Tournament Director will avoid selecting the player for movement unless it has no other choice.

When the Tournament Director must move a player who is locked in their seat, the player’s lock moves with the player.  Therefore, they will be locked in the destination seat.

This is exactly the type of situation the software is hinting at.  You knocked out 4 other players at one time.  That's going to introduce a rare table consolidation event into your tournament.  Your table, which you told the software to collapse last, and had a locked player, lost half of its players all at once.

Nevertheless, something isn't quite right with your description, so I can't really test this to see if something might be up with the balancing algorithm.

Soon 3 were eliminated, down to 4 tables of 8 players so Table 5 was eliminated first. Then we lost 3 players.

"Down to 4 tables of 8 players."  So 32 players (right?).  "Then we lost 3 players."  So 29 players.  "Then i was in a hand and knocked out 4 people out in one hand".  So 25 players.  At 25 players with tables of 8 seats, you're still at 5 tables at least.  A table cannot be eliminated at this point.  So something else must have happened.

Just as an FYI, I kept trying this scenario with 29 players and knocking out 4 players at table 1.  The software just kept moving players to table 1.  Once I figured out something was amiss, I tried with 28 players.  When I knocked out 4 players at table 1, the software did exactly the right thing: it eliminated table 4.

And a final thought: regardless of how this turns out, at the time you did exactly the right thing (I wish more people would realize this).  The player movement suggestions are exactly as worded: suggestions.  If you don't like them, ignore them and make the movements yourself.  I've tried to make that as easy as possible (i.e., drag-and-drop).

Mahound

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 12:54:10 PM »
Nothing wrong with the software Corey, my mistake. my cock up.
 I rechecked  and rechecked this and found that I had eliminated a player out of the tournament before he should have been, by mistake earlier on,He had not been knocked out. .
When he was finally eliminated it was then i realised i had knocked him out earlier (by mistake) than he should have been. I did not adjust his position finished as there were no points to be won.
That is the only thing that i can see that could possibly had such an effect.

Sorry for any bother this has caused

Mahound

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 10:00:25 PM »
No bother at all.