Author Topic: How should I set up ROUNDING for plyr pts/scores (& 'best of 7') ?  (Read 937 times)

pokerbuddy

• View Profile
I'm setting up a league and have a question regarding rounding.

Corey: What do most people do when setting up a league?  Round to nearest 2 decimal places?

I see settings in theTD:
  • points precision
  • score precision
Should I set these to both 2 places? Will doing this automatically round them then or simply truncate them to 2 decimal places?

Shouldn't they be set the same?

This is the first time I've had to look at rounding / scores/ etc.

I would like my overall aggregate scores (end of season) to be rounded to 2 places for all players.

Thanks for any help insofar as clearing this up for me!

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: How should I set up ROUNDING for plyr pts/scores (& 'best of 7') ?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 05:34:17 PM »
In the settings, you can set the points precision to automatically round the numbers of what you see - so if a score turns out to be 11.2561, with it being set to a precision of two, it would show you 11.26. If you want the points to round to two, I'm not sure a formula could do that, but I know it can round to the nearest (ROUND), round up (CEILING), or down (FLOOR) to the nearest whole number.

If you want it to be universal, I would recommend both being set to two, but some people may have need for points being shown to two, but overall score being set to 4.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How should I set up ROUNDING for plyr pts/scores (& 'best of 7') ?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 10:24:18 AM »
I'm setting up a league and have a question regarding rounding.

Corey: What do most people do when setting up a league?  Round to nearest 2 decimal places?

Honestly I couldn't say.

I see settings in theTD:
  • points precision
  • score precision
Should I set these to both 2 places? Will doing this automatically round them then or simply truncate them to 2 decimal places?

Shouldn't they be set the same?

It's a preference precisely because people have different preferences.  The values are rounded to the configured precision.  If I recall correctly, the default precision for points and scores are different because of the common way those items were calculated, in my personal experience.  But, as I said, people have difference preferences and do things differently, so you're allowed to configure them yourself.  Keep in mind that while many people run tournaments in which players earn points, and then set the score formulas on the Stats tab to manipulate those points to arrive at final scores, there are also many people who reward players with points, but then calculate scores based not on points but on other metrics, like finishing places.  In cases like that, scores and points are two completely separate things, and the precision could be important, and different, for both.

I would like my overall aggregate scores (end of season) to be rounded to 2 places for all players.

You could set the Scores precision on the Preferences tab to 2 for this.  You could also make your Overall Score formula do this for you.  For example: round((FORMULA) * 100) / 100, where FORMULA is your actual Overall Score formula.  That would effectively round to 2 decimal places.  However, if the Scores precision preference were set to 4, you'd still see values like 18.2500, 25.1200, and 91.7700.  That is, although rounded to 2 decimal places, the Scores precision preference would still display them out to 4 decimal places.