Author Topic: License?  (Read 5384 times)

MooseWizard

• View Profile
    • Louisville Poker Society
License?
« on: March 02, 2006, 11:07:09 AM »
If this has been answered somewhere before, I couldn't find it.

I have received my key, but have yet to register the software.

With the prior version of TD, I had it installed on my desktop, where I would create the tournaments.  I also had it installed on my wife's laptop, which I ran the tournament from. The reason I did it this way was because I don't have regular access to the wife's laptop, only durring the tourney. 

My question is, am I allowed to use the key on both PC's?  Only one will be in use at any given time.
The man, the myth, the moose!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: License?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 11:42:49 AM »
My typical response is this...

As long as you *own* both computers, there is no requirement that you must purchase a unique license for each computer.  I realize much (most) software specifies that you need a unique license for each copy of the software you install.  Some are more lenient, allowing you to install multiple copies so long as only one is in use at any given time.

The stipulation with regard to Tournament Director license keys is that you do not share your license key with other people.  I would hope this one is obvious.

So, if you typically run your own tournament, but then go to someone else's tournament and register their copy of the TD with your license key, this would be a violation of the license agreement.  They should have their own license key.

But, for example, if you host tournaments at your own home using your desktop PC, and also host some tournaments at your neighborhood clubhouse using your laptop; or, if you typically configure your tournaments on your home desktop PC and then run tournaments using your laptop, you can certainly use your single license key on both of these copies of the software.

I hope that what you take from this assessment is this: I put a lot of work into the software (and continue to do so), so of course I want you to purchase it, and be fair about it.  But I'm also trying to be fair, by supporting the software as best I can, by continuing to improve the software, and by not trying to wring every last bit of money out of each user that I can.

MooseWizard

• View Profile
    • Louisville Poker Society
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 02:40:24 PM »
Thanks Corey.  I was hoping that was how it was.  Of course I understand that the keys can't be shared.  Thanks for being flexible!
The man, the myth, the moose!

ScottBroker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 08:40:00 AM »
Corey,

You are being more than fair.  Your product is the best on the market at any price ::)

UPT

• View Profile
    • University Poker Tour
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 04:48:04 PM »
Fantatsic. I just registered a commercial version and I update the tourney from my home computer.

TheBachelor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 04:31:39 AM »
How long is the license key good for?
If you get some other cool updates will we have to register again to access them?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 01:20:41 PM »
How long is the license key good for?
If you get some other cool updates will we have to register again to access them?

Here's the "official" word:

Upgrades within the same major version are free to license key holders/registered users.  So, registered users are entitled to upgrades to 2.0.1, 2.1, 2.5, etc., should those ever become actual released versions.

Upgrades to a new major version could possibly incur an upgrade fee.  There are no official plans to do this now.  There are no official plans to even have a 3.0, so whether or not there will be a charge for it, when and if it ever becomes available, is hard to predict.  I do not anticipate a cost, should a version 3 ever become a reality.  But I do reserve the right to change my mind.   ;)