Author Topic: TD will not start!!!!  (Read 3037 times)

Pot Taker

• View Profile
TD will not start!!!!
« on: February 03, 2009, 09:01:46 PM »
Hope someone can help me out here...really quick...I have a tourney on Fri, Feb 6th.

I have been running TD V2.5.3 on my "Windows Vista" laptop for some time now with no problems at all...Awesome Program Corey! Yesterday I tried to open TD to set up my Tourney and received this...

"An error has occurred in the script on this page
Line: 6502
Char: 3
Error: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.
Code: 0
URL: ms-its:C:\Program Files\The Tournament Director 2\TD.lib::/director.hta

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?"

Clicking either "Yes" or "No" leads me to this...

"There was an error initializing The Tournament Director, and the program cannot continue. For reference, the error occurred on page(s):
BaseLib
The Tournament Director will now exit."

Please... Anyone... Help!

TylerVollan

• View Profile
Re: TD will not start!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 10:57:57 PM »
is your HDD full? thats my only guess.

but if thats not the problem, dont worry, corey's is on almost everyday so he'll be able to help you out.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:30:42 AM »
I think I've figured this one out.  This is due to another IE bug.  The "AppVersion" string that the TD uses to check Internet Explorer's version is too long due to plug-ins and other software installed on your computer.  The solution, for now, is to delete some of that extra "noise".  You'll have to do this manually.  (This does not mean uninstalling any software.)

1) On the Start Menu, select "Run..."
2) Enter "regedit" (without the quotes) in the Run dialog
3) Windows Registry Editor should start.  It works a little like Windows Explorer, but you're navigating registry keys instead of your file system
4) Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent\Post Platform

5) Right-click on the "Post Platform" key and select "Export".  Enter a filename.  This will save the registry entries in this key in case, for some reason, you decide to replace them.  Think of this as a "backup".

You should now see a number of entries on the right side (now that the "Post Platform" key is selected).  I see some entries like ".NET CLR 1.1.4322" and "InfoPath.2", but you could see just about anything.  The problem is that if you append each of these together, once they reach a length of 251 characters, the bug kicks in.  So you need to delete some of these entries.  What you delete is up to you.

It is my opinion that these entries are useless, and deleting them won't affect anything at all.  These items build up what is known as the "UserAgent" string.  This string is sent to websites that you visit using Internet Explorer.  At one time, this was supposed to identify to the website what kind of computer and OS you were running, and other capabilities of your browser.  Because this string can be (and often is) faked, very few sites rely on it anymore.  Even if it DOES cause problems, you've saved a backup of the keys and can replace them if necessary.  But you won't need to.

I would start deleting any entries that appear to be duplicates, with a change only in version number.  For example, I actually have 5 entries that look like ".NET CLR 1.1.4322" - all with different version numbers.  In a situation like this, I would delete the 4 with the lowest version numbers.

Once you've delete a couple, start the TD again.  If you get the error again, continue deleting keys.  Then start the TD again.  Repeat until the TD starts without error.

This will be fixed (sort of) in version 2.5.6.

Pot Taker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 08:13:18 AM »
Hi Corey,
Thks for the speedy reply. Before I saw your post I tried the simplest thing I could think of first... turns out it worked...that in itself was a suprise :). I did a "System Restore" to an earlier date, a date before the last Microsoft "criticle update" which was on Jan 27, 09...I'm looking into what that update changed...and like i said, everything is back to normal...for now.

At this point I am a bit leery to try anything until after the tournament that I run on Friday. I am then going to update my laptop to the newest "critical updates" and see if TD will run...I suspect not. I will then try out the solution you have provided.

I'll let you know how it goes,
Thanks a bunch Corey!

Pot Taker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 08:26:13 AM »
Hey Corey...one thing I forgot to add. It may be completely unrelated...or not, thought I should mention it just in case.
The file for the last tournament that I ran has a string of numbers after the .tdt extention. Never have seen that before.

Mike

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 10:33:50 AM »
The string of numbers is the date and time.  That would be from a file backed-up via the Auto Save feature and the preference to make backups of saved tournaments.

Pot Taker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 09:53:13 AM »
Hey Corey,
Ran my tourny on Fri, all good. Yesterday I updated my laptop. After the updates from Microsoft, I could not open TD. Same error messages. I tried the fix you provided and TD still would not start. I deleted 5 of 8 of those strings...no luck. I restarted my computer, still no go, and what I had deleted was back. I have since restored my computer back to the day before the update and all is well again. I'm afraid this fix did not work. At this point, I cannot update my computer without TD being affected.

Help, Mike

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 05:22:41 PM »
Try version 2.5.6 when I release it later today.

The good thing about the error you saw was that I was able to reproduce it on a number of different computers (using Windows XP, 2003, and Vista), and the line number that you provided pointed exactly to the culprit (which is actually pretty rare).  I've taken some steps to catch the error and ignore it, so hopefully even though the software may not be able to access the same version information, it will simply move on.

Pot Taker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 06:03:28 PM »
Thanks Cory, I'm eagerly waiting.

All day today I've been searching up info on Microsoft's latest updates, "ms-its", "BaseLib", anything that might help. Did find this site... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx ...Learned a lot here. :)

Anyway, look forward to trying it.

Mike

Pot Taker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 06:45:37 PM »
Works great Corey...Thanks a HUGE bunch for getting on it so quick...Much appreciated!

Mike ;D

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 10:23:23 AM »
Good to hear.  Thanks for following up.