Author Topic: Tournament Templates  (Read 3546 times)

loltruck

• View Profile
Tournament Templates
« on: October 26, 2009, 06:39:33 AM »
Hi,

one suggestion I would really like to see soon :)
Tournament templates. This already works with one tournament, the default tournament (internal or file you can specify).
It would be nice to be able to specify more than one "default" tournaments so you can chose on startup or press of "new" button what template you want to use. We play freezeout, rebuy, bounty, etc. tournaments and I want templates for every different kind of tournament we run. This could also be realised through a different file format: One can export a tournament into a template format and then you can load the template at another time.

I think that would not take too much time to code since a part is already implemented.

Thanks and best regards,
Matthias

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament Templates
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 09:26:54 AM »
Today when you press the "New" button, if you don't have a default tournament defined, then you simply get asked if you wish to create a new, blank tournament.  If you do have a default tournament defined, then pressing the New button asks you if you wish to use the default tournament or create a new, blank tournament.

What if there was a third option to "load a template"?  This option would allow you to load any saved tournament file, and would automatically reset the tournament back to before any buy-ins had occurred, and then NOT set the tournament filename.  That way when you wanted to save it, you would be forced to choose a filename, thus preventing you from accidentally overwriting the file you loaded the tournament from.  Essentially this is what having a default tournament file does, so this would be a shortcut to setting the default tournament file preference.

Thoughts?

Karpro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 09:56:54 AM »
All I've done is create a tournament named 2010template and load it each tiime, save as whatever I want to save it as and then reopen the file I just saved.

loltruck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 11:47:47 AM »
thanks for the quick replies!

@Corey, I think that would be sufficient! I would find it could though, if I could specify a list of template files that can be chosen with one click (this could be defined in a xml file).
For instance, on program start or on click of the "new" tournament button the following dialog appears:

Create New Tournament
- Freezeout NLHT5k
- Double Chance NLHT5k
- 3 Rebuys + Addon NLH
- 1 Rebuy NLH
- Champions Tournament NLH10k
- create from template <chose>
- use internal blank tournament

Where I can define what appears in the list. The idea behind this is that in our poker club not everybody is a computer expert and this would make it so much easier for everyone to create new tournaments properly.

Another thing that would be cool and easy to implement: When saving a tournament, a proposed default filename would contain the date, thus making it easy to archive the tournaments.

I would find these additions very helpful because most of the time we only have a mouse connected to the computer running TTD - making it hard to enter something via keyboard (have to use windows virtual keyboard which is a pain :))

thanks and best regards,
Matthias

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 10:32:34 AM »
I'll give this some thought.

jhisey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 10:29:42 AM »
What I've done is create new template files and named the "2008 League Default", "2009 League Default", "2009 Tournament of Champions", "Side game", etc...  For the League Defaults, my Event Name is <month> 2009 Tournament.  I just load the file for the default I want, change <month> to the current month and then Save As that months file.  Very easy...