Author Topic: Need help, setting up poker league  (Read 1480 times)

Jwl122

• View Profile
Need help, setting up poker league
« on: October 08, 2007, 04:25:42 AM »
Hi everyone!
I'm about to start a poker league, with pointsystem.
I'm a total goof at programming and stuff like HTML so I'm pretty lost in this program. I usually just use the deafult layouts and so on. What i really want you to help me with is this:

I want to give 3 points to everyone that makes the buy-in. then additional 1 extra point for re-buys and every hit they make. Then a 5 point bonus if you eliminate last games winner.

1 place will get 20 points
2 18
3 15
4 13
5 12
6 11
7 10
8 9
9 8
10 7 no matter how many players from start

is it possible to programme the director to handle this, so that in ever game everyone gets the 3 points for participating + the points shown above to the 10 last players, then additionally the points for re-buys, hits and the elimination of the last games winner? And then still keep track of the overall score for the whole season?

Please help, Jwl122

tandemrx

• View Profile
Re: Need help, setting up poker league
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 09:51:53 AM »
Only problem you are going to have is giving points to the last game winner.

That you are going to have to set up each game as a prize (bounty for player) that gives 5 points for that bounty winner.  So this is very doable, but you can't set it up automatically.

Just want to get a couple things straight about your system.

Does person in 11th place get 3 points (as base points before other things are added on?)?

Also, you want to "give" points to people who rebuy?  I and some others actually take away points (give negative points) for people who rebuy - as a minor "punishment" for having to get extra chips.  Certainly possible to give points for rebuys, just seems odd to me that you reward rebuys (other than it does add money to the pot, I certainly understand this).

Otherwise TD can easily handle the point system you mention.  I just want to clarify these couple items before I (or others) suggest a formula

Jwl122

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 03:29:58 AM »
Hi there tandemrx

I know some of the sings sounds a bit odd, but its my first league, and just wanted to hear what is possible. The thing you asked for about the 11th player is that we are about 25 players who wants to be in the league, but still I know that some players wont show up every time we play, so therefore i want to give points to the ones who participates, so lets say first time we play theres 20 buyins, and only points given to the last 10 of them. then the 5 players that didn't show up are still having the same amount of points as the ones who was playing, but didn't make it to the final 10. thats why.

and the thing about giving points for re-buys are simply just to get some more money in the pot.  ;D

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 12:19:12 PM »
I think this will work:

if(r<10, 3, 3) + switch (r, 10, 4, 9, 5, 8, 6, 7, 7, 6, 8, 5, 9, 4, 10, 3, 12, 2, 15, 1, 17) +  nh + nr

I still am not a fan of rewarding rebuys with points (favors loose play near the end of rebuy period and punishes solid play).  Especially since rebuys are rewarded by getting another chance already whereas those who can't rebuy are thus punished (solid play throughout, but then beat by a suckout from someone who just rebought). 

I would hate to be the guy who lost out of winning a season points score simply because the guy I was up against rebought more than me - even though we had similar finishing places throughout the season.

Even if you penalize a person for a rebuy (say dock them 0.5 or 1 point), I doubt that will inhibit someone from rebuying.  They stand to gain more points by staying in the tourney than they lose by rebuying.

But, its your tourney of course  :-\

Another thing might be to give a more even spread of points at the top end.  The 2nd place person gets more points over the 3rd place (3 points) than the 1st person gets over 2nd (2 points).  2 ways to fix this, either give person in 2nd 17 points or 17.5 points.

Just my need for symmetry  :)  (if you wanted to do this, just change the final switch parameter pair of numbers from "2, 15", to either "2, 14" or "2, 14.5".

Hope that helps.