Author Topic: Windows 10 Forcing Me To Return to Blind Valet  (Read 1200 times)

spitebet

• View Profile
Windows 10 Forcing Me To Return to Blind Valet
« on: July 18, 2016, 06:28:39 AM »
After 3 years of amazingly loyal services from TD, it's time to part ways.

I had to buy a new laptop because my old one just had a mind of its own.  Plus it was pretty old and it was time to move on.

Enter Windows 10. After days and days of trying to make TD work, of browsing through the forum for solutions - the issues I encounter are the same as what I've been reading here (load, save buttons, etc.) - it is with extreme regret that I will put the TD aside (for now?).  I hope a solution will come soon because now I need to return to my excel sheets for points and scores and charts, and Blind Valet for clock. 

I run a weekly tournament and I learned to depend on TD.  I'm a pacifist but I'm learning to hate the folks at Microsoft for trying to reinvent the wheel over and over.  Clearly they know nothing of the saying "if it ain't broken, don't fix it."

I'll be checking on the forum once in a while, hoping for a solution.  I'm guessing TD is losing plenty of customers.  These are sad, sad days for me and my players.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Forcing Me To Return to Blind Valet
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 05:34:03 PM »
Really sorry to hear this, but I can understand the frustration.  I've said this before, but once version 3.4 is complete (which is taking longer than expected due to demands on my time), the plan is to refactor the application to use a different framework, and hopefully eliminate issues like the ones happening today with Windows 10.

If the Load/Save button issue is the main frustration, I would suggest trying the beta version (http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=5161.0).  There's a workaround in that version which should bring the functionality back to those buttons.

That said, I intend to continue working on the application, fixing issues and adding new functionality where it makes sense.  I hope everyone keeps the faith!

spitebet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 08:29:01 PM »
Dear Corey:

I have to say, close call. But thank you for this (quick) fix.   I've only briefly checked the 3.4b version you suggested using, and everything I was having problems with 3.3 seem to be working fine (although I haven't tried an actual tournament yet).

So the question now is, what's wrong with 3.4b, really; what's keeping you from posting it as official and not beta?  Nicely done!

Thanks again.  I was dreading having to use another software.  Will let you know if I run into quirks again.

Syl.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 04:21:57 PM »
Glad to hear it!  The Load/Save issue has been a thorn in my side for a long time.  I really hope to do away with it for good in the future.

So the question now is, what's wrong with 3.4b, really; what's keeping you from posting it as official and not beta?  Nicely done!

There's very little wrong with 3.4.b2, and nothing that I know of that would keep it from being released.  From what I can tell, it has fewer bugs than many previous public releases.  Honestly, the reason it hasn't graduated from beta is mostly my inability to stop tinkering with it and just set it free.  I decided on one more feature, and once that's done I'll clean up the last few minor issues and let it go.