Author Topic: translation in dutch  (Read 2010 times)

gizzie77

• View Profile
translation in dutch
« on: April 13, 2016, 09:18:40 AM »
hello,
can anybody tell in a simple way how i can start translating TD3? i wanna create a dutch translationpack but have no ****ing clue how to start and what files i can/need to translate...
thnx in advance...

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: translation in dutch
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 12:30:10 AM »
To create your own translation, follow these steps:

(1) Using Windows Explorer, locate the folder in which the Tournament Director is installed.  This is typically "C:\Program Files\The Tournament Director 3", or "C:\Program Files (x86)\The Tournament Director 3" if you're running a 64-bit version of Windows.

(2) Open the folder "lang".  You should see another folder inside called "en-us".

(3) Select the "en-us" folder.  Right-click on it and select "Copy".  Then right-click on the "lang" folder and select "Paste".  This should create a new folder "en-us - Copy" at the same level as the "en-us" folder (or "Copy of en-us" if you're running an older version of Windows).  Rename this folder to your preferred name.  This is usually the abbreviation for the language, followed by the abbreviation for the dialect (en-us is English - United States, for example).  A list of language codes can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms533052(v=vs.85).aspx

(4) Open the new folder.

(5) Open the file "description" using a text editor, such as Notepad.  This file should contain only a single line, describing the language files (the name of the language).  This will be displayed in the language selection list within the Tournament Director program.

(6) Optionally, you can create a text (only) file named "information.txt".  The text in this file will be displayed to the user when they select your language.

(7) Translate the text:

All of the additional files in the language folder (messages.*.properties) contain KEY/VALUE pairs, that look like this example:

General.Confirm.AreYouSure=Are you sure?

The text to the left of the "=" is the KEY ("General.Confirm.AreYouSure").  The text to the right is the VALUE ("Are you sure?").

When the Tournament Director needs to ask the user for confirmation, it looks up the text to display by retrieving text from the language catalog for the key "General.Confirm.AreYouSure".  The language catalog currently selected determines what text will be displayed.

To translate a language catalog, translate the VALUES into the desired language.  The KEYS remain unchanged.

There is no document listing where in the software each and every VALUE is displayed, but the KEYS are intended to be descriptive enough to allow for translation of the text.

Blank lines are ignored by the application, so you can put as many or as few as you like in the language files.  Lines beginning with a # symbol are considered comments, and are also ignored by the application.  They are usually included to explain something about the particular text in the line following the comment line, and they don't require translation.

Brackets surrounding a number, such as {1}, are replacement markers.  When the text is used by the application, the brackets and number will be replaced with some other text.  Any text using replacement markers usually has a comment line just before it noting what the replacement text will be.  For example:

# {1} = player name
Dialog.BuyinPlayer.Title=Buy-in {1}

This language key indicates the text in the title bar of the Buy-in Player dialog (a dialog for buying into the tournament a single specific player).  The comment before the text line indicates that {1} will be replaced with a player's name.

The Tournament Director is an HTML application, and utilizes an HTML rendering engine for the user interface.  Therefore, all text must be HTML encoded.  For the most part, this means that the less-than symbol (<), greater-than symbol (>), and ampersand (&) must be encoded if used within the translated text.  Less-than is encoded as "&lt;" (without the quotes).  Greated-than is encoded as "&gt;".  And ampersand is encoded as "&amp;".  These will already be encoded in the English language catalogs, so this should usually already be done for you.

You are free to do (mostly) what you want with the translation, including sell it, if that is what you wish to do.  However, you must make it clear in your advertising and/or packaging that the language pack is independent from the Tournament Director software, and is provided by a 3rd party entity.  Furthermore, you must notify me, Corey Cooper, of your intent to sell the language pack.

If you wish to allow others to use the language pack without restriction, you can send me your translated files and I will provide packaging and host it on the Tournament Director website.

Please let me know if you need any assistance.

gizzie77

• View Profile
Re: translation in dutch
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 03:43:13 PM »
thnx alot Corey, i think i have a little work cut out for me lol.
i don't wanna sell the languagepack, i'm just an enthousiastic user that loves to do stuff like this.