Author Topic: Downloading great templates but they aren't working  (Read 1497 times)

Big$lick

• View Profile
Downloading great templates but they aren't working
« on: May 30, 2010, 09:06:10 AM »
I think part of my problem may not be putting image files in the right location?  Or maybe my TD program is not saved to a "standard" location?  A very novice computer person here.  Any suggestions?  Is there a "dummy's guide" to installing TD and templates?

step 1:  save TD to where?
step 2:  download template ZIP file to where?
step 3:  do i also need to download and save the jpeg files I see in the threads that correspond to the templates?  If so, where do those get saved to?

I am sure there are probably more questions that I am not smart enough to ask, but this is really the only way I think I can make TD really hum.   Its an awesome program and you guys are all making some tremendous templates...I want in  ;D

Thanks to anyone who can take some time to walk me through some baby steps.

Big$lick

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
Re: Downloading great templates but they aren't working
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 03:08:47 AM »
If you have kept all the defaults when installing TD2, any templates found here (or on my website) will be in zip or rar files. Extract the folder in the archive to the templates folder. The templates folder will be in
Documents > The Tournament Director > Data
When you start TD2, on the layouts tab, load layout and browse to the folder that contains the template and load up the .tlo file.
When creating your own layouts, it is also a good idea to create a folder in your templates folder and put all files into this folder and create from there. This will make it a lot easier to zip up and export for sharing.
www.jodystacey.com

Big$lick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 08:04:19 AM »
Will give that a shot, thanks!!!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 09:57:24 AM »
This is partially my fault.   There needs to be an easy way to share and use others' layouts.

Right now, the best way to "share" a layout is to use the "Export" feature on the Layout tab.  This will ZIP up all of the necessary files (including any image files referenced directly in the layout).  Someone else would then simply need to unzip the file into their data store folder (My Documents\The Tournament Director 2\Data) and the layout should then be available to load within the Tournament Director.

In fact, a layout exported in this way can be imported correctly simply by using the "Restore" feature on the Database tab.

Big$lick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 02:02:54 PM »
Definitely not your fault!  I am a total novice, I have gotten several of the templates to work now, based on your tips and those of others.  thanks again!