Author Topic: SOLVED!!! - I'm obviously missing something!!!  (Read 7621 times)

Jolly Bodger

• View Profile
SOLVED!!! - I'm obviously missing something!!!
« on: August 29, 2009, 05:51:08 PM »
Still messing about with this program deciding if it's for me.

Loaded it onto my desk top did a couple of fancy layouts based on the BPC_UltraDeluxe layout. After some help from here I got it working great.

Now the problem - I loaded TD2 onto my laptop and I can't persuade the BPC layout to work I just keep getting a white screen. I took great care to copy all the files over correctly.

Even reloading the layout into a saved tournament doesn't work.

JB

I’m one of those kinds of people that just can’t leave things alone. This problem has REALLY bugged me – because there seems no reason why the Laptop should work any differently to the Desktop. I am certainly no technical guru, I’m more like those ‘dangerous’ people with a little knowledge.

I have however found the solution, even though I still don’t know why this works!!!

When TD is installed it creates a ‘Data’ folder on the ‘C’ drive in ‘My Documents’  and I’m sure I read on this forum somewhere that all images should be placed in that folder. WRONG! The clue was that every time I checked the layout it said it could not find the images even though the path was correct and it displayed in the background dialog box. As soon as I moved the images onto the ‘D’ drive it displayed all the background images perfectly.

Perhaps some technical guru out there might be able to explain it?

If it helps my Laptop is an Acer running XP.

JB
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 09:16:30 AM by Jolly Bodger »

Jolly Bodger

• View Profile
Re: I'm obviously missing something!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 05:54:43 PM »
I should also point out that the standard layouts do work.

And all the sound events I programmed in work.

JB
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 06:48:34 PM by Jolly Bodger »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:13:21 AM »
Last time I checked, the BPC layout only has the background image set for the main screen.  You will need to set the background image for the other screens.

Jolly Bodger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 04:21:24 PM »
Yes I did that but still just get white screen with the chip images and the outline of the clock. That would mean that the layout is working ok but can't be seen because it's white text on a white background.

I just can't persuade the laptop to work the same as the desktop - really frustrating. I know it must be something really simple that I've missed but I can't spot it.

JB

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »
So, to be clear, it's just the background image that appears to be missing?

Do you see the background image for any of the screens in the BPC UltraDeluxe layout?  Press the number keys (1 through 9) from the Game window to switch screens. 

Jolly Bodger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 05:11:13 PM »
Hi Corey - This is driving me nuts!!

Today I uninstalled the program and reloaded it - no difference...

I have loaded the BPC layout and the background image that I want to use. Both the layout and background work perfectly on my desktop but the background will not show on the laptop.

I can however change the background colour using the 'background properties' the coloured background then shows that the layout  (Clock, Blinds etc) are all in the correct place on the screen - so the layout is working.

The coloured background will not become transparent when the 'override' box for either the 'background' or 'borders' or both are checked.

Just don't know what to try next.

JB

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 09:57:36 AM »
The "Override all background colors" and "Override all borders" turn background colors/images and borders off in the cells (and columns and rows).  It won't override the background color/image of the screen itself.  That's the point - to show the background color/image of the screen without the individually set background colors/images of the cells getting in the way.

So, in the Screen Background dialog, if you check those override boxes, and set a background color, and then press OK, you see a background color for the screen (in the Game window), right?  OK, so now go back to the Screen Background image dialog, make sure the same screen is selected (the currently displayed screen on the Game window), and select a background image.  Does it show up in the little preview window (ie, it's a valid image file)?  When you press OK, the image does not show up as the background in the Game window?

Jolly Bodger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 05:11:01 PM »
Thanks for persevering with this Corey – but I’m just getting so frustrated that it works perfectly on one computer but not the one I will need it on.

In the ‘Screen Background Dialog’ I can see the picture I want to display as a background (this is shown on all 3 screens – Main, Pre tournament and Post tournament).

At the top in the ‘colour’ box it is blank. The filename ‘path’ is correct. Below that the ‘Don’t repeat’ box is checked. Below that the vertical and horizontal  alignment is Center. Below that both ‘override’ boxes are checked.

Still no background image showing!

JB

verbalvolley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 10:54:33 AM »
just a guess, but could this be a screen resoloution problem? match your laptop to your desktop screen resoloution and try that? good luck anyhow

macacan

• View Profile
    • Chorley Poker League
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 03:19:10 PM »
chick that the pic has not been moved from were it was.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Jolly Bodger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 06:40:09 PM »
Screen resolution is the same and the path to the picture is correct.

Thanks for the thoughts tho.

JB

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 10:05:15 PM »
Hi, I've been playing around with the BPC layout myself and I get the same thing as you... all the layout works, but just a white screen, no background picture... The problem is the resolution... you have to make sure that the background picture is the same "size" as your screen size... I'm unsure of how adept you are at resizing pictures, but if you tell me your resolution size I can crop it up so it will work... this is how I got mine to work

To find resolution screen size, right click anywhere on your desktop and choose "Properties"... Click on the last tab labeled "Settings"... Midway through the window on the left side is your Screen resolution box with a sliding scale Less <---> More and below that it will say some number by another number pixels... those are the two numbers that you need... then you resize your layout background to that setting (or you can just slide your screen resolution to match the layout background, whatever it is)... Like I said, if you tell me your resolution, I'll crop the pic you are using and send it back to you, if you are unsure of how to crop pics... its possible to do it with MS Paint, but I found it a bit harder than running it through Paint Shop Pro...

And if you are like me and have two screens or monitors then its important to get the resolution of the monitor that you are displaying the TD game screen on... My computer monitor and the actual TV that I display TD on are two different resolution... I don't know if this applies to you Jolly, but thought I'd mention it

Jolly Bodger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 11:06:56 AM »
My screen resolution on my Laptop is exactly the same as my Desktop monitor at 1280x768 the background jpegs are 1280x768 (according to photoshop)

Still no background showing ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

JB

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 12:47:21 PM »
My windows settings only go 1280X960 or 1024X768.... I checked a laptop with vista and it wouldn't go exactly 1280X768 either... anyway, I would assume that if the graphic is too big it won't display it... so you could crop the picture a bit smaller and see if that works

Jolly Bodger

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 09:20:28 AM »
I have XP running on both the Desktop and Laptop.

I have tried changing the background to a smaller image. I have also tried changing the screen resolution - tried several but left it on 1280x600 in the end.

STILL NO BACKGROUND :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I am on the point of giving up!

JB

PS I have also tried changing from jpeg to gif.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:38:50 AM by Jolly Bodger »