Author Topic: 2.6 beta 5  (Read 43916 times)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2.6 beta 5
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 09:54:27 AM »
first tournament glitch free.

Awesome.  I'm really glad to hear it.

One problem I did notice though, when carrying out direct buy-ins during registration TD would not allow repeat keystrokes, the <add player> button was highlighted (Players Tab) but pressing enter to enter the next player did nothing, which then meant that intervention by using the mouse was required in order to click on Add Player, which does slow down reg, as usually myself and the TD are able to enter the players using the <enter> key and unique player names/numbers with (using auto-perform action) meaning that we can keystroke (almost) all the entries without having to use the mouse to point and click.

This is a nice catch.  You know why this happens?  Because you have the preference "Allow hotkeys on all Settings tabs that do not have inputs" enabled.  Thus, the keys you press are being intepreted as hotkeys, and are not passed on to the tab.  I'll look into forwarding keystrokes that are not defined as hotkeys, but I'm not sure if that's going to be a good idea or not.  Will have to try it and see how it works.

The <Add Tables> feature for me seems a bit counter-intuitive, serving little purpose I preferred the previous <New Tables> of 2.4b4 any TD or card room manager I would surmise is aware of how many tables they have/need and how many heads they want at those tables during the seating draw.  Also I am not a fan of the new window which now displays which says <# New Tables Created>, tbh more of an annoyance as it increases the keystrokes or mouse clicks for that action, for example if i have 40 entries at 11 max tables i'm gonna click (previously) New Tables, 9 handed so that I know i'm getting 5 tables to have sufficient late reg space without having to high card players.  It just seems a bit of a 'nanny' option now.

Interesting perspective.  The "Add Tables" feature, before, was only available when you had no tables defined.  So you could only use it to create your initial tables.  If you used it to create your initial tables, then added new players and needed to create more tables, you had to add the tables yourself, you could not use this feature.  Additionally, it only asked for the total number of players and the number of seats at each table.  It did the math and created the number of tables needed to seat all of your players.  What I changed in this version is (a) I no longer restricted it to only working when you have no tables defined; thus you can now use it to create your initial tables AND add as many new tables as necessary to seat all of your players; and (b) it now shows you the math and allows you to modify its calculations; that is, you still enter the same values (number of players, number of seats at each table), but it now shows you how many tables are needed before it actually creates them, and allows you to change that number if you want.

So, I made it less restrictive and more informative, but it appears to you to be less useful.  It's always very interesting to see how features are perceived outside of my very code-centric view.

With regard to the licence reminder I have already given my suggestions to you via e-mail, I am not a fan of placing those suggestions on a public forum where user's with abused personal licences are likely to see.  I understand what you are saying about the licence, perhaps the reminder only popping up once every so often, rather as every time for commercial would be more apt?

This is definitely an option I am considering.

I like the new New Player option on the Add Player dialogue, could we not have an <Add & Buy-In> button/option along with the standard <ok> button like Jody suggested?

I assume you mean "New and Buy-in" button, and yes, it's on the list.

Other than those minor frustrations looking good, still looking for that seating chart in rotating pages rather as a scrolling single page though ;-)

Also on the list.  :)

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 10:08:01 AM »
Played two games of Turbo poker with the new b5 and new layout, glitch free both games, but did have one miner problem,... I lost both games >:(

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 10:15:24 AM »

EDIT - Is the mshta.exe the image name for TD? I ask this due to the fact that as I near the end, TD lags not with the clock, but with starting sounds for bust outs. I don't see one directly associated with TD, and mshta.exe is the only one that I have that's over 100k (at 180k). Am sure there's not much that can be done to change it, nor would it become an issue for me personally, but I know it may become one for others. What is odd, though, is that at the moment I've got the default sounds for the one minute warning, as well as the level ending, and those played right on time as they should have... Just not the bust out sound - about a two to three second delay towards the end... Smooth at first in the beginning.

Yes, mshta.exe is the Microsoft HTML Application exe, which hosts the TD.  Delays like you're hearing might be more likely to be caused by the audio file themselves, but really I couldn't say why this is happening.  Are they large audio files?  Are you using a different bust-out sound each time?  You might try using the same sound for every bust-out, and see if it tends to lag after the on subsequent bust-outs.

Yes, I have a bunch of audio files that I use to bust out players. I'll test it out using only one (and probably on mute) and see what happens. Realistically, I won't have an issue, as the tournaments that I host tend to be no more than 40 players. I should have an update hopefully within an hour or so. No classes today, so it should make it easier. The minimize/close buttons at the corner... It must have needed to be right on the corner on full screen mode, since it never popped up for me before b5 came up. Anyhow, on to more testing :)
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 10:24:21 AM »
Another nice feature I just noticed (probably been there all along...) The mock tourney I had I reset to restart. Had only one table with one player on it (since the tourney was over). Clicked suggest movement, and voila! players seated at mulitple tables - without defining tables. :)  If it's been there all along, then yes, I'm slow  :-X  But that would be due to my always having my tables set up in advance :)

Onward with testing!

EDIT - Went quicker than I had anticipated. Although It didn't show up unitll the final table, the few second lag still showed up, so should I ever find myself in that situation, I probably will end up not using bust out sounds. MSHTA.exe still got up to 183k on my system. I may try one last mock tourney where I end processes I know are not vital to my system, and see if that were to improve it...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:05:44 AM by Magic_fubu »
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 11:04:12 AM »
Hi again Corey,

"Allow hotkeys on all Settings tabs that do not have inputs" was enabled, however I was able to keystroke on b4, now its disabled but feel like I've went backwards as now I can't bust players by pressing X on other tabs, I prefered the b4 way.

""I assume you mean "New and Buy-in" button, and yes, it's on the list.""
No, for example;
I click Add Player (on players tab)
search for player yields nothing so I then click New Player on Add Player Dialogue, which opens the New Player Dialogue, at the bottom if when entering that player we could then click "Add & Buy In" which then immediately performs a quick buy-in of the player. (Hope that makes sense!)

I can see a case where other users are only going to want to add them to the tournament without buying them in, but in my case if I'm adding a new player they are buying in too at the same time during registration.

Best
Stu
Stuart Murray

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 06:30:13 PM »
"Allow hotkeys on all Settings tabs that do not have inputs" was enabled, however I was able to keystroke on b4, now its disabled but feel like I've went backwards as now I can't bust players by pressing X on other tabs, I prefered the b4 way.

That's because the hotkeys code in b4 was buggy.  It just so happens the bug actually suited what you wanted to do.  Like I said, I'm going to look into making keypresses that aren't assigned to hotkeys pass through to the current tab.  This is probably the right behavior.

""I assume you mean "New and Buy-in" button, and yes, it's on the list.""
No, for example;
I click Add Player (on players tab)
search for player yields nothing so I then click New Player on Add Player Dialogue, which opens the New Player Dialogue, at the bottom if when entering that player we could then click "Add & Buy In" which then immediately performs a quick buy-in of the player. (Hope that makes sense!)

I can see a case where other users are only going to want to add them to the tournament without buying them in, but in my case if I'm adding a new player they are buying in too at the same time during registration.

That's actually what I meant.  Adding a "Buy-in" section to the "New Player" dialog, so you can create a new player and buy that player into the tournament at the same time.

GreenTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 01:14:44 AM »
Thanks for the new beta.

Some things I discovered.
* Players/Add Players to tournament, is it possible to remove the new columns (Name, First, Last). I only want Nickname
* If I Hide Scrollbars, I cannot use the mouse wheel to scroll, is it suppose to be like that?
* Stats, if I copy everything (C:\Users\My Documents\TD2 and C:\Program Files\TD2) from computer A to B, I cannot run stats on computer B (has never been any problems before).

Error message:

If I change to the correct paths in profiles for Computer B, it doesn't save the info and I still get the error message

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 07:10:09 AM »
* Players/Add Players to tournament, is it possible to remove the new columns (Name, First, Last). I only want Nickname

I have an item on the to-do list to expand the column listing for most of these types of dialogs, and allow selection of the columns to display.  It's actually a sizable piece of work, because I want to make the dialogs consistent, so it involves changes to about a dozen dialogs (how they display, how they sort, how they are searched) and new preferences.  So I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

* If I Hide Scrollbars, I cannot use the mouse wheel to scroll, is it suppose to be like that?

I wouldn't say it is "supposed to be like that", it just is like that.  Removing the scrollbars removes the ability to manually scroll, unfortunately.

* Stats, if I copy everything (C:\Users\My Documents\TD2 and C:\Program Files\TD2) from computer A to B, I cannot run stats on computer B (has never been any problems before).

Error message:

If I change to the correct paths in profiles for Computer B, it doesn't save the info and I still get the error message

Not sure what's going on here.  If you copy the folders from one PC to another, and into the same locations, you should not have to change any paths.  And are you sure about that last part ("it doesn't save the info")?  I mean, I haven't seen any issues with modifying Stats Profiles. 

One thing you can do is edit the profile, then edit the Sources.  In the Sources folder listing, right-click a folder you believe has tournament files in it and select "Explorer folder".  That should open Windows Explorer directly to that folder and let you confirm there are tournament files in it.

GreenTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 07:18:49 AM »

Error message:

Not sure what's going on here.  If you copy the folders from one PC to another, and into the same locations, you should not have to change any paths.  And are you sure about that last part ("it doesn't save the info")?  I mean, I haven't seen any issues with modifying Stats Profiles. 

One thing you can do is edit the profile, then edit the Sources.  In the Sources folder listing, right-click a folder you believe has tournament files in it and select "Explorer folder".  That should open Windows Explorer directly to that folder and let you confirm there are tournament files in it.

Yes, I have tried all that. I add the correct source path (computer B), Explore the folder and can see the files (no problems), click ok and return to Profiles menu but in Profile Properties it still says source to computer A (I even removed computer A as source)!!!!!!!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 10:37:03 AM »
...  but in Profile Properties it still says source to computer A (I even removed computer A as source)!!!!!!!

I'm afraid I don't understand what this means.  Can you provide a screenshot?

GreenTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 11:46:30 AM »
...  but in Profile Properties it still says source to computer A (I even removed computer A as source)!!!!!!!

I'm afraid I don't understand what this means.  Can you provide a screenshot?
I sent you a PM

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 04:15:18 PM »
I check the Auto-Print box aform the preferences tab and the "Allow Players to be seated who have not bought in" from the tables tab. When I load a new tournament (and when i start TD, they become unselected and I have to turn them on again. I havent tried with any other preferences but TD does not remember my preferences for these 2

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 05:05:26 PM »
On my last post...
I run several different types of tournaments each week and have created a template tdt for each (different rounds, layouts and tables). When I load the required tournament for that specific day and save as a different name (to not modify my template) it appears to load some preferences that were created with that template. So if I save a tournament with Allow Players who have not bought in to be seated turned on it will re-open with it turned on. If I then load a tournament that has this option disabled when saved, it will be disabled.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 10:21:21 PM »
...  but in Profile Properties it still says source to computer A (I even removed computer A as source)!!!!!!!

I'm afraid I don't understand what this means.  Can you provide a screenshot?
I sent you a PM

We resolved this in email, but to let everyone know this is definitely a bug.  It only affects preferences that were upgraded from a previous beta of 2.6, and only Stats Profiles that had the "Use Default Sources" checkbox checked.  If this affects anyone, send me an email and I can resolve it for you.  Thanks GT!

Edit: To follow up on this, in beta 5 I changed the Stats Profiles, removing the "Default Source".  This was a common place to configure where the profiles looked for your tournament files, which was supposed to save time if you had multiple profiles that all looked in the same place to find tournaments.  In the end I found it was more confusing than time saving, so I removed it.  But when something like that is removed, I usually have to add code to "fix" the preferences for those who used that version of the software.  The "fix" should only happen once, but the software is "fixing" the preferences every time the software is started.  That's the bug.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:47:25 PM by Corey Cooper »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 10:59:14 PM »
I check the Auto-Print box aform the preferences tab and the "Allow Players to be seated who have not bought in" from the tables tab. When I load a new tournament (and when i start TD, they become unselected and I have to turn them on again. I havent tried with any other preferences but TD does not remember my preferences for these 2

Which Auto-Print preference (there are two)?  I'm not seeing this problem.

For the "Settings" on the Tables tab ("Allow seating of players who have not bought-in", "Automatically suggest player movements", etc): This is slightly new behavior in 2.6 beta 5, and is now how it should have been all along.  Initially (long ago) I added these as preferences, because I figured people who would allow players to be seated before buying them into the tournament would probably do this for all of their tournaments.  And people who wanted the software to suggest player movements would always want the software to do this.

However, there was an issue specifically with the "Allow seating of players who have not bought-in" preference.  If a tournament was configured (and perhaps partially run) and saved while this preference was enabled, then the preference was disabled, when that tournament was loaded the software could get into trouble if the saved tournament had unpaid players seated at tables.  The preference to allow seating of unpaid players was disabled, yet the tournament had seated players who were not bought-in.  This led to several bad things happening and basically just some weird behavior.

Ultimately I realized that these are really tournament settings, not preferences, but people will still have a preference as to how they are usually configured.  Thus, in beta 5, I changed these to be tournament settings, but I also added preferences that control their default values.  So, if the preference "Allow seating of players who have not bought-in is checked by default (Tables tab Settings)" is enabled, then whenever you create a new tournament (from scratch), or create a new Tables configuration (from scratch), the setting "Allow seating of players who have not bought-in" will be enabled.  However, when you load a tournament, or load a Tables template, this setting will be the same as it was when the tournament or template was saved.

Since this wasn't a tournament setting before now, the software has to do some sleuthing to figure out how the settings should be configured every time you load a tournament saved from a previous version, but it isn't very hard and I think it gets it right.

I hope that's clear.