Author Topic: Easily Navigate Many Players?  (Read 3104 times)

SPO Director

• View Profile
    • Seattle Poker Open
Easily Navigate Many Players?
« on: May 17, 2006, 09:56:07 PM »
I am a long-time 1.x user who is currently wrestling with the learning curve of going to 2.x.  I've gotten most of my functionality re-learned in the 2.x way, but have hit a big problem....

When I'm choosing players for a tournament in the 'Add Players' dialog, it takes forever to navigate through my database to find each one.

I should point out that my Database has just under 1000 players, and each tournament has about 60-90 players.  Since I have to do this at the beginning of each event (4 nights a week), I need to decrease the amount of time it takes to find each player in the 'Add Players' dialog.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I just assumed I could type a letter and would be taken to the first name that begins with that letter, but that is not happening on my set up (that would be a dream come true if it did work).  Please advise if that functionality is there and I'm just not seeing it.

TimDugan

• View Profile
    • The Oregon Poker Tour
Re: Easily Navigate Many Players?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 11:10:26 PM »
Well, at the moment, the best you could do is make different leagues to organize everyone by.  Like an "A League" for everyone whose last name starts with A and so forth, since the "stats" page can filter all of the different leagues together as one for the stats.

What I do for my just under 100 league is print out a sign in sheet that has every player listed on it in the same order they're in the database.  Then it's easier for me to go through and find them in the database when I've got a paper in front of me.  *shrugs*  But, with nearly 1000 people . . . gosh, I dunno . . . get less friends maybe?   :P

SPO Director

• View Profile
    • Seattle Poker Open
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 03:56:48 AM »
I wish they were my Friends! I use the TD for running events in my public league.  I never know which players will show up on a given night.

In 1.x, I had templates set up not tracking players (or seating), and once I got the tourney rolling, would manually type in each player's name.  That did take a while, and there can be some typos which complicate updating my stats through the export.

But it is actually FASTER to type in 60 names, than to hunt trough a list of 1000 for those 60.

Corey, any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 05:07:34 AM by SPO Director »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 08:34:49 AM »
Well, adding hotkeys that jump you to the first name beginning with that letter is pretty easy.  Actually, after reading your post last night I did just that.  I'll probably need to add it to a few other dialogs for consistency.

SPO Director

• View Profile
    • Seattle Poker Open
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 02:49:12 PM »
Well, adding hotkeys that jump you to the first name beginning with that letter is pretty easy.  Actually, after reading your post last night I did just that.  I'll probably need to add it to a few other dialogs for consistency.

Any time frame on when we'll see this in an update?  It is, literally, the last major hurdle I have on the road to 2.x!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 03:08:44 PM »
Not at the moment.  The code is once again undergoing some big changes across the whole source base.  But I should be able to release minor updates before the main source base is actually ready.  It's just painful coordinating fixes in two separate branches of code.

I'd like to say next week, but I won't.  I hope you can hang in there knowing it is coming...  :)

SPO Director

• View Profile
    • Seattle Poker Open
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 04:06:04 PM »
I'd like to say next week, but I won't.  I hope you can hang in there knowing it is coming...  :)

I'll do my best.  I'm already 2 weeks into this season of the league, so switching in a couple weeks won't pose any other issues.

Once again, Thanks for the support!