Author Topic: Prize allocation  (Read 3049 times)

Trash Monkey

• View Profile
Prize allocation
« on: August 26, 2010, 03:51:40 PM »
I didn't go searching for a solution to this(figured that the problem is unique enough or I'm just stupid enough) lol

In my tournaments I payout the top 2 players if my buy-in's are less that 25. If I have 25-39 buy-ins I pay top 3. 40+ buy-ins = top 4.

Tournament starts with 24 people. 1 busts out and is awarded a random prize. Another busts out but buys back in (making the 25th buy-in and changing the prizes)

I would at that point load a different prizes template and have now lost the random prize player.

Is my only solution to manually award the random prize to the player?

(I apologize in advance if this is confusing I sometimes don't explain things very well)

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: Prize allocation
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 10:13:22 PM »
Have you tried to lock the prize? That's supposed to prevent you from inadvertently losing the prize
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 11:54:44 PM »
If you are using the rebuys, on the game tab, buy checking all the the boxs that you need. 
The money will change but the number of player shouldn't so if you start with 24 and one player go out and does not re-buy, then another player go out but does re-buy then a rebuy is just that  (adding money but not another player and prizes should stay  the same accept for the amount, And the random player shouldn't change either.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 10:32:03 AM »
Starting in version 2.6 (the next beta, beta 3, if you want to get an early start) you can use the Automatic Prizes feature for this.  You'll have to create a config file that has your specific prize levels in it.  Currently, the automatic prizes feature uses the number of buy-ins to determine the prizes, but beta 3 allows for using buy-ins, rebuys, and add-ons, or specifying your own formula to determine the prizes.

When you use the Automatic Prizes feature to do this, you'll want to lock the Random Player prize, as Magic_fubu noted, which will keep it around when the prizes change.

Trash Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 03:29:59 PM »
Thank you all for your help. I'll tinker around a bit with beta and try locking the prize and see what happens.

Seitz333

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 01:38:36 PM »
This feature is something I'm needing. I downloaded the newest beta 2.6 beta 4. Has this been implemented in that beta release? If so, am I missing how to configure? What I want it to do is base the number of payouts on the number of buyins plus the number of re-buys.

FYI - I do not have a registered copy, but I'm considering changing after being a long time Dr. Neau's user.

Thanks,

Chuck

Seitz333

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 11:32:30 PM »
Ok, did some playing around and created my own config file and got it they way I wanted. I have a problem with something else but I will do some more testing tomorrow and post a thread if I can't find the answer. So far pretty nice.

Chuck

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 09:44:55 AM »
This feature is something I'm needing. I downloaded the newest beta 2.6 beta 4. Has this been implemented in that beta release? If so, am I missing how to configure? What I want it to do is base the number of payouts on the number of buyins plus the number of re-buys.

FYI - I do not have a registered copy, but I'm considering changing after being a long time Dr. Neau's user.

Thanks,

Chuck

I know you've already figured this out, but for anyone else reading this, you have to modify your Automatic Prizes file, which is the file "autoPrizes.xml" in the "lib" folder of where your TD is installed (usually C:\Program Files\The Tournament Director 2).  The "problem" right now is that the user manual has not been updated yet for 2.6, so there's no instructions on how to do this.  I did, however, change the autoPrizes.xml file so that it has the new section that you can modify to use a formula for determining prize levels.  (I assume that's how you figured this out.)

Please let us know how it works out for you.  And post any questions or issues you have...

Mahound

• THE ONLY time i get screwed is when i play poker!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 09:33:04 AM »
The Automatic Prizes file is great, it saves you time by adjusting the prizes as the number of players go up  Is there any way of making a new xml file.
Hoe do i make a new config File. I can see that you can alter it, Is that making a new config file?

What i would like to do is to make a new file as the i would like to alter it.
 * I would like to adjust the percentages awarded.
 * Increase the numbers of players / payouts in each section etc
 * Delete some sections, as i dont think i will ever get more than 100 players. Dont think i could do with the hassle :)

Thought i would be able to alter it and save it as a an xml. file. I am using microsoft word 2008, and thought i could save it as an xml.fle as its very versatile o what it can save files as, but this was a no go. Then I saved it as an HTML file, and tried to cut and paste from this to the autoprizes file and that didn't work.
What program do you need to replace or alter the autopriizes file, if this is possible

Cheers.

I know you've already figured this out, but for anyone else reading this, you have to modify your Automatic Prizes file, which is the file "autoPrizes.xml" in the "lib" folder of where your TD is installed (usually C:\Program Files\The Tournament Director 2).  The "problem" right now is that the user manual has not been updated yet for 2.6, so there's no instructions on how to do this.  I did, however, change the autoPrizes.xml file so that it has the new section that you can modify to use a formula for determining prize levels.  (I assume that's how you figured this out.)

Please let us know how it works out for you.  And post any questions or issues you have...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 09:34:57 AM by Mahound »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 10:38:48 AM »
autoPrizes.xml is the default Automatic Prizes Configuration file that is included with the software.  You can modify it if you want, but I would recommend against that, as it could be overwritten when you update the software.  My suggestion is to copy the file and modify the copy.  Then tell the software that you are using the copy file.  To do that, go to the Preferences tab and press the Config Files button, then select the Prizes Files category.  You can also change this directly from the Automatic Prizes Configuration dialog on the Prizes tab (this is all assuming you are using version 2.6).

XML files are basically text files with a specific structure.  There are numerous XML file editors out there, you can use any you like.  I just use a text file editor like Notepad or Wordpad.  I have no idea if Microsoft Word 2008 would output a correct file, but if it claims to save as XML, I would think it would work.  Feel free to post your file(s) here and I can help work out any issues.

Mahound

• THE ONLY time i get screwed is when i play poker!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 11:08:30 AM »
Cheers Corey,

Following your advice, when i asked about changing .xml files.  i downloaded the xml notepad program from microsoft.

I dragged and copied the autoprises.xml  file from the TD datastore onto my desktop. I renamed it autoPrizes2 and opened it up with the xml notepad. After a couple of tries I was able to alter it to the way that suited my needs.

I then put the changed file back into the original folder.

In Tournament Director on the preference tab, I clicked on the config files/prizes files /autoprizes/browse   to the new file, autoprizes 2 . Then on the prizes tab i selected the the autoprizes and there was new configuration.  I t works a treat with no problems.

I have kept the original file. so i can go back to the original one if i need to.

Thanks