Author Topic: Prize Changing  (Read 1552 times)

thomamon

• View Profile
Prize Changing
« on: March 04, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
So found another problem...

Everytime someone got knocked out of the tournament this past weekend, the prize list would change and go from the template I was using to saying there was 6 payouts.

Any idea why?  I Had to fix it everytime someone was knocked out.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: Prize Changing
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 08:49:15 PM »
I know you're not the first one to have the issue, but I cannot remember why it happened. What you can do is to lock the prizes once everything is set up for the prizes. This would prevent them from changing, assuming that you're using auto-prizes. If you're not, then I wouldn't have any clue whatsoever as to why.

I'll do some digging in just over an hour, as I have an online class about to start. If I find it, I'll link you to that thread to see why it's happening as well as how to fix it. (Unless, of course, someone else does or gives reason outright).
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 10:19:36 PM »
Found it! http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=3239.0

Here's the thread that matches what was happening before. Note - assumes automatic prizes is checked. Resolution: uncheck once prizes are set up. (Locking doesn't hurt either to be on the safe side).
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Asegzamfire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 12:18:11 AM »
Just locking the prizes is not good, when the problem happen the automatic try to redo the prizes and will put all the prizes to zero, so you gonna end up wiht prizes 1 to 6 for exemple showing 0 and then your 6 prizes locked with the prizes there, so on your screen its gonna show the 12 prizes and its not what you want.

I try my TD staff to uncheck Automatic as soon as you get your basic prizes, that's the first thing they are doing then they change the prizes if needed. Its the only solution if you show your prizes on the screen and dont want the 0 showing.

For me locking the prizes is simply use when they want to take out 500 from the prizes pool for the bubble and redo all the prizes with the rest of the money, so i just lock 500 on the new prizes and check the automatic, get the new prizes and then uncheck it.

thomamon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 07:18:04 PM »
I have a template I use for the prizes, we use it every tournament and never had a problem with TD 2.  I really don't understand why it would just change when someone is knocked out repeatedly???? I don't really understand what you guys were trying to say either.

Will this be fixed in the future? 

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 09:59:25 AM »
It's not a bug.  The "Automatic Prizes" is a feature that can change the prizes that are awarded based on participation.  Let's say you typically host tournaments of 10 to 30 players.  If 10 or fewer players show up, you configure prizes of 50%, 30%, and 20%.  But if 11 to 25 players show up, you configure prizes of 46%, 27%, 17%, and 10%.  If more than 25 players show up, you configure prizes of 42%, 25%, 15%, 10%, and 8%.

You could simply wait until you're about to start the tournament to configure the prizes, since at that point you'll know for sure how many players there will be.  But if you do that you can't show your players what the prizes will be until the last minute.  It would be nicer if (a) the software could configure the prizes for you and (b) if it could do it on the fly, as players buy-in, so the prizes displayed are accurate (for the current players bought-in).  This is the Automatic Prizes feature.  Enable it and it will do this for you, based on a file that describes the various prize "levels".

When you have Automatic Prizes enabled, buying players into the tournament (or removing them from the tournament) can cause the prizes to change automatically.  This is the default behavior.  It can also be configured to be changed based on other criteria, but usually it's just "number of players in the tournament".

If this is not what you want you should disable it.  On the Prizes tab, press the Automatic Prizes button.

FYI, it's not enabled by default.  So it had to have been enabled, either by someone manually enabling it, or by loading a tournament that has it enabled already.