Author Topic: Tournament Director Wizard  (Read 2293 times)

Phaze

• View Profile
Tournament Director Wizard
« on: January 29, 2007, 06:31:53 AM »
You know, I think a wizard would be really helpful in setting up a tournament. There are a lot of people that get overwhelmed with the prospect of going through all the tabs. If they could just answer questions pertaining to the tournament and away they go, I think that would be great.

I'd like to try to explain it a bit better. I foresee a wizard option that when clicked a series of option/choice windows will appear and based on these choices a tournament will be created. I know its pretty straight forward to us when we set up a tournament, but I think this would give new users and computer nervous people confidence that they are on the right track. When the wizard is over, the user is guaranteed to have a working tournaments based on their choices. An example where I think it would really benfit is when setting up the layout style. A screenshot of the different stock layouts can be displayed and radio buttons to choose which one is proffered. A check box option to check all the choices that user wants to use for his layouts can be on the next slide. There isn't as much customizing but I don't think that matters all that much to a new user.

I had this idea from that post in the layouts section where the new user wanted a great layout for that night's tournament but he was new. I feel with a wizard he could have created his own custom tournament and would have been confident in the way he wants to run it...

thats my lil suggestion

Vulch

• View Profile
Re: Tournament Director Wizard
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 08:32:23 AM »
I think a wizard is a great idea.

Not just for new users, but more experienced users could use it to set up a quick tournament, or to do the basics on a tournament, which they could then edit for the final adjustments.

Not sure how much work it would involve, but I could see it being a big selling point.  I was put off initially using TD because it does "look" complicated at first glance.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament Director Wizard
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 11:44:09 AM »
No doubt this is a good idea.  I've had one on the "to-do" list for some time.  But a wizard of this type is actually a big feature (meaning, lots of time and code), so it's been hard to get to and still continue improving the software in other ways.  Hopefully some day...