Author Topic: Point formulas  (Read 15989 times)

coyote97

• View Profile
Re: Point formulas
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 12:24:42 PM »
Corey and Matt,
Thanks again for your quick responses.  I am going to have to change the way our league hands out hitman points so that the software will work for us.  I don't think I will have any problem with players having a chance to earn more points.  I took your suggestion on the -$1 adjustment for the rounding problem.  That's a good enough solution for me.  Can't wait until the next tournament to run the software again! 

iammagicmike

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 02:38:02 PM »
I really like this formula.  only commenting to save location

Let's break this down:

The first part, staggered points for playing, is easy: numberOfPlayers - rank + 1 (or n - r + 1)

For 1 bonus point for making the money: add inTheMoney (or m)

For 2 more bonus points for winning: add if(r=1, 2, 0) [i.e. 2 for 1st, 0 for any other position]

For 1 point per hit: add numberOfHits (or nh)

So that makes the formula: (n - r + 1) + m + if(r=1, 2, 0) + nh

Unfortunately, there's no variable for bounty of previous winner.  You can define a prize for a bounty on a specific player and make it 1 point, but I don't think you can add the two easily.

MrBrooks

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 09:51:27 AM »
Hi, totally new to all this and I would really appreciate some help for a formula.

This is how we would like to set it up.
20 points for buying in
3 points for hit
3 points for rank (every position till the winner)
additional points for in-the-money. Now this may vary depending on number of players in tournament.
So, this is our idea:
4 prizes  - 30, 20, 10, 5 (additional points)
3 prizes - 20, 10, 5 (additional points)
2 prizes - 10, 5 (additional points)

(so the winner in a tournament of 20 players would have the following points assuming that he has busted out all players by himself. 20 (buy-in) + 19x3 (hit) + 19x3 (rank) + 30 (for 1st prize when 4 prizes are given).

I hope this is understandable and like I said.. would truly appreciate someones help on this to create the perfect formula.

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 10:00:58 AM »
Ok,

The game screen will take care of the "points for buyin" and "points for hits", just make sure you enter the corresponding values in the game options.

The formula for giving 3 points for every rank is: (n-r)*3 (this is if you want your last player to get 0 pts otherwise you have to use ((n-r)+1)*3 then EVERYBODY will get at least 3 points.

The formula for "in the money" bonuses is: if(r<=mr, if(r=mr, 5, (mr-r)*10), 0) which reads, if the Rank is below MoneyRank add 0 else if the Rank is equal to MoneyRank then add 5 points else add the subtraction of the actual Rank from the MoneyRank and multilply by 10.

So the end formula should be:

(n-r)*3 + if(r<=mr, if(r=mr, 5, (mr-r)*10), 0)

HTH
Lafrog

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 12:48:16 PM »
I would suggest including the points for buy-in and points for hits in the formula itself, just to keep it all in one place:

(n-r)*3 + if(r<=mr, if(r=mr, 5, (mr-r)*10), 0) + 20 + (nh * 3)

Of course, that's really down to personal preference, as it will yield the same results.

MrBrooks

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 12:38:25 AM »
Thanks for your quick reply and help.

Will this formula take into consideration how many money-spots that are available for that tournament?

/T

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 10:26:48 AM »
The variable mr is the "moneyRank", which will automatically be set to the highest rank with a rank-based prize.  That is, if you have prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place, then mr will be 3.  If you have prizes for 1st through 10th place, then mr will be 10.

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 02:01:32 PM »
The variable mr is the "moneyRank", which will automatically be set to the highest rank with a rank-based prize.  That is, if you have prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place, then mr will be 3.  If you have prizes for 1st through 10th place, then mr will be 10.

That is unless your field decide to work a deal and add say another prize to the prizepool. I believe that if you reflect that wish and create another prize (from money taken off the already set prizes) that this will change the value of mr thus the point value attributed to your players.

Lafrog

MrBrooks

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2016, 03:54:03 AM »
Once again thanks for your quick and accurate reply.

My final question (for this time). Can I apply this formula to an already completed tournament? I have saved the tournament as a template so I have all the info left. I would like to add the formula, fire up the old tournament and then export it.
Would that work or will it only be for the coming tournaments?

MrBrooks

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2016, 01:32:46 AM »
I've now run a test on the formula.
Problem is that the first part for ranking is giving me negative values. The first person out of the tournament will only get 20 points for buy-in. Second one out will get 20+3 (buy-in + rank)

Say with 27 buy-in the first person out gets 20 + (-81) = -61

What do I need to change in order to only get positive points for all players?

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2016, 12:05:47 PM »
The only way this formula can produce negative number is if youn have more money rank than actual ranks (players)...

What is the formula you are using?

Lafrog

MrBrooks

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2016, 02:32:09 PM »
When I test the formula provided by you it gives me negative numbers for players in tournament director.
Not sure that Statsgenie are getting the numbers correct but when I export a test tournament and import it into statsgenie it will give roughly 68 points to the winner and -65 something for last position.

( I used the formula provided by Corey: (n-r)*3 + if(r<=mr, if(r=mr, 5, (mr-r)*10), 0) + 20 + (nh * 3)
)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 02:36:48 PM by MrBrooks »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 03:46:40 PM »
Once again thanks for your quick and accurate reply.

My final question (for this time). Can I apply this formula to an already completed tournament? I have saved the tournament as a template so I have all the info left. I would like to add the formula, fire up the old tournament and then export it.
Would that work or will it only be for the coming tournaments?

Yes.  Any change made to any tournament, whether the tournament hasn't started, is currently running, or is over, will cause the *entire* tournament state to be recomputed.  So you can make a change at any time.  Just remember to save it after you make the change.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 03:54:18 PM »
When I test the formula provided by you it gives me negative numbers for players in tournament director.
Not sure that Statsgenie are getting the numbers correct but when I export a test tournament and import it into statsgenie it will give roughly 68 points to the winner and -65 something for last position.

( I used the formula provided by Corey: (n-r)*3 + if(r<=mr, if(r=mr, 5, (mr-r)*10), 0) + 20 + (nh * 3)
)

If you're testing the formula in the Test Formula dialog, you need to make sure you give each of the variables in the formula an appropriate value.  The test dialog allows you to provide just about ANY value, whether or not they would realistically be found in an actual tournament.  This can lead to confusing results.  And most values are simply zero by default, which isn't valid for some variables (like rank).  A good way to test is to load an already completed tournament, make a change to the formula, and go to the Players tab to see what points are actually awarded.  Likewise, after loading a tournament, in the test formula dialog press the Set from Tournament button to fill in real values from the tournament.  Do this in both the "Test Conditions" section and the "Player Information" section.

As an example, the default "Tournament Scores" formula (on the Stats tab) is log((n + 1) / r).  If you test this formula and fail to assign the r variable a value, the formula result will be "error", because "rank" (r) will have a default value of zero, and you can't divide by zero.  But there's nothing wrong with the formula.  In a tournament, no one can rank "0" so that error will never happen.

MrBrooks

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2016, 12:16:57 PM »
Once again. Big thanks for all the help!
It all worked and I was even able to apply this to an already finished tournament.

Appreciate the support! (whenever you Corey end up in Sweden... I guess I owe you a beer!)