Author Topic: Is This Doable?  (Read 3195 times)

T-Bone

• View Profile
Is This Doable?
« on: September 09, 2007, 09:37:29 AM »
I would like to produce a points summary (Player Ranking) that takes into account only the top finishes a player has had in a certain number of tournaments, be it 10 or 15 or whatever. Is is possible to do this? Thanks in advance for any help, guidance or answers of "No"!
If it ain't naked, deep-fried or poker-related, I ain't interested!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Is This Doable?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 10:58:55 AM »
Depends, but probably yes.

I'll assume you are measuring a player's success for a tournament by how many Points they receive, and that you want a player's overall score to be the sum of the player's points, for say the 10 tournaments in which they received the highest number of points.

In the Stats Filter:

Set your Tournament Scoring formula to "points".
Set your Overall Scoring formula to "sum(top(10, scores))".

You can find some more (simple) examples in the user manual, in the Formulas section.

T-Bone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 08:28:09 AM »
OK, I'm doing something wrong. When I set up and test formula it works perfectly. When I run it against the database I get complete season totals. Thinking I had somehow miscounted total number of tournaments, I reduced formula to find top five and--when that didn't work--top two. Same results. Realizing that even duct tape can't fix stupid, where am I going wrong? Thanks.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 10:16:10 AM »
What's the problem?

T-Bone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 11:03:21 AM »
Let's say a player has participated in 10 tournaments amassing a total of, say, 56 points. His two top finishes were 12 and 11 points for a total of 23. However, when I run stats with the formula for, in this case, the top two finishes, he still has 56 points.  The same is true for all players. I may not be doing a good job of explaining. If not, let me know.

T-Bone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 03:15:30 PM »
Guess not. Thanks.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 04:17:25 PM »
The "Points" column on the Stats tab will always display a player's total points (ie, the sum of points for each tournament in which the player played).

By setting the filter formulas as I described earlier, you are creating a "score" value for each player, for each tournament.  That value is equivalent to the points the player earned for the particular tournament (which is why the Tournament Score formula is simply "points").  The Overall Score formula then picks out the top 10 of those values [for each player] and sums them.  This result will end up in the "Overall Score" column - not the Points column.

T-Bone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 07:39:16 AM »
See, I told you I was stupid! I was short a column--which is not the same as one brick shy of a full load, but close--in my report set up. Adding it gave me exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, again.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 10:49:45 AM »
In your defense, the stats stuff IS rather complicated....