Author Topic: ToC consideration(s) and configuration  (Read 1615 times)

shushs

• View Profile
ToC consideration(s) and configuration
« on: December 16, 2015, 06:49:57 PM »
First off, I am not sure if this should go under suggestions, or this topic, but in case I missed something that already exists... here I am.

So, we run a monthly tournament, and most of the players are interested in contributing a specific amount, instead of a 'rake', each month that helps them qualify for a year end Tournament of Champions. The concept is more of a 'point totals' tournament, but we just call it ToC. Out of a 12 tournament schedule, you _must_ play at least 9 tournaments to qualify, and your top 7 point finishes count. What I am looking for is a way to designate a player as being part of the particular year's competition. Right now, I do this by hand, and will continue to do so, but if the software already allows it, or can in the future, that'd be great.  I guess the question part is "Is there already a way to do this?" and the suggestion part is "Can this be added?"
I already keep separate seasons for each year. I am trying to then 'tag' players that are contributing each month, and not charge those that do not. To add a wrench to this... we did have one player last year that committed to playing, and 3 tournaments in decided to back out for the year.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: ToC consideration(s) and configuration
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 05:49:23 PM »
So what are the qualifications?  The player must participate in 9 or more of the 12 tournaments?  And what else?  You mentioned their top 7 point finishes count, but didn't explain how they help qualify the player.

shushs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 01:02:48 PM »
Apologies for the late reply.

A player must play 'x' of the potential 'n' tournaments within a year.
In our case, for this upcoming year, it will be 7 of the 12 potential (one per month).
Only the best 'y' (same minimum as 'x', but if it could be variable, that'd be cool too)  points finishes get summed.
From there, only the top 10 players (again, this could change) play in the ToC, but we are looking at a single table.
I hope that isn't too complicated and it answers your questions.

I would like tTD to be able to track those that are willing to compete (not all my guys are because the extra money is 'tight') And if they are "in" the running, then they have a 'leaderboard'.

As an aside, I know of another group, that tracks true "Champions" and at the end of their season, only people that have "won" a tournament qualify, regardless of points. I guess there are at least two models here. One that is a true ToC, and one that is a 'points leaders' tournament. Just food for thought.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 01:15:39 PM »
As far as tracking which players are "in" and which players are "out", you can still use the Rake functionality of the TD if you want.  Create a Rake that is specific to the amount to contribute.  For only those players that opt in, add the contribution amount to the buy-in and apply that rake.  The money will never see the pot, but you'll have a record of it and will be able to see the total collected in that Rake column on the Stats tab (and you could rename the rake to something more appropriate, like "ToC", so it doesn't sound like a rake).  But that's all it does, so it's up to you to decide if you want to track it externally.

As for who qualifies and who doesn't, it sounds like something like this:

if(buyins >= 9, sum(top(7, listPoints)), 0)

That would be for an Overall Score formula.  The value for each player would be zero if the player played in fewer than 9 tournaments, or would be the sum of the top 7 point finishes if they played in 9 or more tournaments.  You could change the 0 at the end to -1 to make it easier to distinguish those that are "in" and those that are "out" (they would have -1), or on the off chance that someone who is "in" actually scored zero in all of their tournaments, and thus was "in" but still had a zero.

Unfortunately the Stats tab formulas can't measure player against player, so you can't include only the top 10 players and exclude everyone else.  You simply have to sort the player list by the Overall Score computed from the above formula and nab the top 10.

shushs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 01:43:10 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.

I did look at Rake as a way to keep track, and stopped because I thought it applied to every player. I will revisit and see if I can get it to be player by player, or at least understand it better.
w/r/t the summation, that's great!

Thanks again Corey, you really have made a truly great product.