Author Topic: New computer, problems with settings window  (Read 2315 times)

Brunen

• View Profile
New computer, problems with settings window
« on: December 10, 2014, 05:49:07 PM »
Hey

just bought a new CPU

Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro 13.3" QHD+ touch
Core M 5Y70, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Windows 8.1

after installing TD 3.3 I have had a problem with the scaling and textsize ind the settings window (esc button from main display)

does anyone know how to adjust?

Best regards
Brunen

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New computer, problems with settings window
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 08:56:44 PM »
Difficult to tell based on the stats you've posted, but since you emailed me regarding this as well, I have that information, too.  Your email also included this important fact:

my new computer comes with a resolution of 3200 x 1800

The Tournament Director was originally designed for the most common screen resolution at the time: 1024x768.  Since it is used often on laptops, which tend to have lower resolutions than desktop computers, it has continued to cater to this screen resolution, although any resolution can be used.  Since it was originally designed for a much lower resolution, the TD settings use an 8 point font size.  This is actually fairly small by today's standards, and is damn near impossible to read on a high resolution monitor unless you have an absolutely enormous display.

I believe newer PCs with displays this large compensate by increasing the default Windows font size.  On Windows 7, you can do this by right-clicking on the Windows desktop and selecting "Screen resolution", and then clicking the "Make text and other items larger or smaller" link.  Yours is probably set to "Medium - 125%" or "Larger - 150%".  This increases the font sizes and generally makes text readable on those really high resolution monitors.

Unfortunately, the TD's settings were entirely designed around this single, small font size.  Increasing the text size in Windows won't increase, for example, the size of the tabs on the TD's Settings window, or the size of buttons on some of the TD's Settings screens.  This makes the application not only look odd, but in some cases makes it nearly unusable since you can't read what's on some of the buttons.

With the current version, there's no way to scale the size of the TD's Settings.  But, to work around this, you can decrease the Windows font size back to "Smaller - 100% (default)".  Unfortunately this will probably make the text hard or impossible to read.  You could also decrease the screen resolution when running the Tournament Director, down to 1920x1080 instead of 3200x1800, for example.

The next version of the TD (3.4, tentatively) will have a way to adjust the text size, to deal specifically with this issue.  Been working on it for a while and the text size feature is nearly done.  See attached image of the Settings window on the 2nd largest font setting.

Brunen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 01:52:30 PM »
Hi Corey

I have been using the work around by decreasing the windows font size now since december, and hoping for news about the TD 3.4 with the improved sizing options.

Have you come closer to a release date for the TD 3.4?

BR
Brunen

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 03:54:43 PM »
I've basically been diminished to trying my best to do at least one thing per day with the software.  The good news is I'm down to only 3 items left before releasing a beta for 3.4.  I was hoping to get it out this weekend (which still might happen) because I'll be out-of-town next week and likely won't get much of anything done on the TD.  Keep an eye out.  Once I finish it, I'll post it in the Beta Testing forum and put an item in the News section of the website (which also shows up in the News section on the Game tab of the application).  I'll probably also send out something to the mailing list.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile