Author Topic: League weekly tourney  (Read 1975 times)

iV001

• View Profile
League weekly tourney
« on: February 25, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
I have tried a other software and for weekly tourney, all i had to do is to press a "copy tourney" button and everyweek i had a new tourney in the database. What i understand of this software is that you have to "save as" and change the file name to get a new tournament.

Is this the right way to do this ?

BTW: I've tried many software ans this one is the best, by far.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: League weekly tourney
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 03:43:04 PM »
The Tournament Director doesn't use a database for tournaments - only for players.

It works with tournaments in the same way an application like Microsoft Word works with documents.  With Word, if you want to create a new document by using a previously created document as a sort of "template", you would:

- Find the document file and copy it
- Open the new file with Word
- Clean up any parts of it you didn't want

Same is true with the TD:

- Find the tournament file and copy it
- Open the new tournament file in the TD
- Reset the tournament (press the Reset button on the Game tab)

Similarly you could open a document in Word and then press "Save As" to save it as a new document with a different filename.  Again, same is true with the TD.  Load a previously saved tournament file and press "Save As" to save it as a new tournament file with a different filename.

Karpro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 04:49:10 PM »
I created the basis for my weekly games, saved as a tournament named "template", saved it, made it read only (just in case).  For each new tournament I just load "template" then save as weekly tournament name.

iV001

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 09:12:01 AM »
Thank you for the answers.  :D

iV

But do i need to keep all the tournaments in files, for the players database to be accurate.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 09:14:34 AM by iV001 »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 10:09:31 AM »
Well, the Tournament Director saves tournaments as individual files, so yes, you do need to keep tournaments "in files".

I suspect you are asking if you need to keep tournament files in order to retain player statistics, and the answer to that is also 'yes'.  The player database only records personal information about players.  The Tournament Director computes statistics by loading your saved tournaments and compiling data from them.  So, if you don't save a particular tournament, or delete the tournament file, you'll lose all information pertaining to that tournament.

Mecheng

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 10:01:22 AM »
Like Karpro, I created a template for my weekly tournament and took it a step further. I went to the "Preferences" and the "Config Files" button and set the weekly template as the default tournament that loads every time I start the Program. When I start the program for a tournament, the first thing I do is check the "Auto Save" button and I get a dialogue box to name the tournament. I name the tournament by clicking on an old tournament and changing the name and/or date. 

If you don't use the auto save screen, you can only do a "save as" when the default tournament is loaded in the program.

Note to Corry: I’ve been using TD since version 1 and have recommended it to others. It’s a great program keep up the good work.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
Thanks.  Work is continuing... :)