Author Topic: Display Help!!!  (Read 4010 times)

bmontana33

• View Profile
Display Help!!!
« on: March 03, 2012, 03:20:22 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm having my first rebuy tourney tonight and I'm having an issue...I know others have had this issue before, but I'm still having trouble fixing it. I have my display set and ready to go, and I am able to connect to my 55 inch tv upstairs (where I originally did my practice tests and everything displayed correctly), however, when going into my basement and hooking up to my 32 inch tv, the bottom line of text (in this case player 1, 2, and 3 payouts) disapears. I've been playing with extended display and different things and am lost. I know the tourney will run without that displayed, but I would like to fix if I could. Can anyone give me clear direction on what I need to fix/adjust so the whole thing displays.

Thanks so much!!!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Display Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »
Right-click on the Game window and select "Auto-size Screen".  After doing this you might want to start the tournament and flip forward through the rounds to make sure everything fits (on odd/even rounds).  If not, repeat auto sizing.

bmontana33

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 03:24:05 PM »
I tried that and the font goes so small that you can't read it.

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 04:01:21 PM »
The simplest fix would be to have the same extended display properties as your 55"

You need to mirror the Extended Display resolution on both TV's for it to work seamlessly, simply plugging and going with different resolutions is always going to give erroneous results, which is why most people will build tournament screens on 1024x768, and have all their extended displays operate at this setting, or build screens which are saved in different resolutions, eg, 1024x768 1280x800 1600x900 etc etc

Most resolutions depending on how good the LCD is and what types of cable you use are selectable, on Windows Screen Resolution.

The other thing you can try is making sure the extended display settings of TD match what Windows is outputing to, for example it's not much use if you are outputing from Windows at 1280x800 whilst the TD3 software is set to 1280x850

Regards
Stuart
Stuart Murray

bmontana33

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 04:28:19 PM »
My laptop setting is 1280x720. When I open up the display options on TD3, the main screen is set to 1280x720 automatically. When on my tv upstairs (55), it works without doing anything. When I bring my laptop downstairs, is when I have the issue. I'm looking for it to work only on the 32". When I change to extended display to any 2 numbers, then click move to extended display at the bottom, the whole TD screen goes away and I'm left looking at my desktop background.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 08:37:46 PM »
The TD can detect your main display's resolution (your laptop's resolution), so it knows your laptop is 1280x720.  It cannot detect your extended display's resolution.  That is whatever resolution your TV is displaying, which could be the same as your laptop or could be different.  It could easily be different on each TV as well.  If your upstairs TV is a 720p HDTV, then the resolution is most likely the same as your laptop, because 720p is 1280x720.  If your TV downstairs is 1080p, then it's likely got a different resolution (1920x1080).  Based on your TV sizes, it sounds like those should be opposite though (upstairs, 55", should be 1080p and downstairs, 32", is more likely to be 720p).

Regardless, you've got to determine what those resolutions are and set them appropriately in the TD.  Just as important, you've got to tell the TD where your extended display "extends" the main display.  As in, is the extended display logically to the right or left of the main (laptop) display?  (Or above or below?)  This could also easily be different for each TV.  If you press the "Move to Extended Display" button on the "Extended Display" dialog and the Game window simply disappears, it likely means the extended display location (left, right, top, bottom) is not properly configured in the TD.  For example, the extended display (TV) is logically to the right of the main display (laptop), so if you move the mouse cursor off of the right side of the laptop's screen it appears on the TV, but you've got it configured to the left on the Extended Display dialog.  In this case, the TD would be moving the Game window off of the left side of the screen, and it would then be outside the edges of both of the displays.

Once you get this configured properly, the TD should be able to put the Game window on your TV at just the right size just by pressing the "Move to Extended Display" button.

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:57:48 AM »
My laptop setting is 1280x720. When I open up the display options on TD3, the main screen is set to 1280x720 automatically. When on my tv upstairs (55), it works without doing anything. When I bring my laptop downstairs, is when I have the issue. I'm looking for it to work only on the 32". When I change to extended display to any 2 numbers, then click move to extended display at the bottom, the whole TD screen goes away and I'm left looking at my desktop background.

"I'm looking for it to work only on the 32" - What are you wanting to do?  Do you want the tele's to be a Duplicated Display (the same as the laptop screen) or an Extended Display (an extension of the main screen off one side)??

"the whole TD screen goes away and I'm left looking at my desktop background" - 2 things could be happening here
  1) As Corey suggests TD thinks the extended display is on the right but windows is actually putting the extended display on the left/top/bottom.
  2) You need to set-up Windows Screen Resolution to match your upstairs TV first, then mimic those details in the "extended display" options of TD

When you use a VGA/SVGA cable there are specific items you need to do usually when hooking it up (windows 7)

1 Connect the VGA cable to the laptop and tele
  2 Change the input of the tele to Computer/VGA
  3 Open Screen Resolution on your windows desktop
  4 If the extended display has not automatically been detected click "Detect"
  5 Set the screen resolution to match all the other extended displays you will be using (1024x768 is the standard( most TV's, & Projectors are most happy at this resolution))
  6 select "extend these displays" on Multiple Displays menu
  7 note your resolution setting for the extended display and load TD
  8 On the extended display set it to match the windows settings (location, resolution) (note you cannot change the main display size as this is automatically delivered by Windows to the program
  9 Click "move to extended display"
 10 Once you have done all this you should edit and manipulate your game screen so it's a good fit, making sure you save your layout once done (for example I have the same layout saved in each resolution size 1 for when I don't have an extended display to show the game screen and a 2nd in 1024x768 size for when I have the game screen running on LCD's or Projectors)

HDMI settings are the same as this but HDMI 'converses' more freely with your computer thus ensuing a wider range of resolutions and settings can be adopted, however HDMI in my experience is far more cumbersome and not really worth the hassle of more expensive cabling and distribution devices..

Hope this helps
Stu
Stuart Murray

macacan

• View Profile
    • Chorley Poker League
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 12:30:41 PM »
Just a quickie on this subject.

Not a massive problem but would save me time.

When I do the extended display, move to extended display, all is almost well.
The TD nearly fits on the screen, I then manually move the display.
Not sure exactly without going setting everything up but its something like location 1280 and 0, I change this to 1203 and 6, the display is well acceptable
at this setting.
The only bug bear is when I go to set poker up again I have to changr the settings again to 1203 and 6.
Is there anyway of saving this ?.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 12:36:20 PM »
When I do the extended display, move to extended display, all is almost well.
The TD nearly fits on the screen, I then manually move the display.
Not sure exactly without going setting everything up but its something like location 1280 and 0, I change this to 1203 and 6, the display is well acceptable
at this setting.
The only bug bear is when I go to set poker up again I have to changr the settings again to 1203 and 6.
Is there anyway of saving this ?.

I've seen similar behavior but it's been very inconsistent.  And frankly I don't know what is going on.  I do have an item on the to-do list for this.  I'd like to add some additional controls to the Extended Display dialog, allowing you to control the size of the Game window in addition to its location, and save those as profiles.  Then be able to assign hotkeys to those profiles.  Would be nice to be able to press F11 to appropriately place the Game window for my living room TV or F12 if I'm using the game room TV, for example.

bmontana33

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 03:27:25 PM »
I would like the tv to be a duplicate display as my laptop, not an extended display, although I've been fiddling with both to try and get this to work.

When on my 55" 1080p Vizio tv, I hook up my laptop and everything that is on my laptop is displayed correctly on the tv. I don't have to do a thing. When I go into my control panel, display, the screen res is 1366 x 768, as it is also in TD. If only it were that simple for all tv's.

When I go downstairs to my RCA 32" 1080p tv or upstairs to my LG 42" 1080p tv (I'm having the same issue on both), when the laptop is hooked up, I cannot see the bottom half of the taskbar on the tv, and about the same amount of space is missing on the top, left, and right sides as well, even though I see all of it on my laptop. If I go into TD3, it displays correctly, with the exception that the bottom line of payouts I can't see. If I manually adjust the screen upwards, eventually I see it, but then I can no longer see the top line, Montanaro Poker.

No matter what I change the screen res to 1360x768, 1280x720, 1024x768, or 800x600, I have a different issue. For instance, at 1024x768 from top to bottom I can see everything, however only the first 2/3 of the left side of the screen display...so any cells I have on the right side of the screen are gone.

When trying extended display, I switch windows to extend the displays, convert to extended display in TD after adjusting the res to that which is listed in windows, then I adjust the coordinates so that I can see the TD screen on the tv, (but not the laptop), but I still can't see the whole thing. A small portion of the top, bottom, and left and right sides are still missing. Except here, when I manually adjust the screen upwards, the bottom line of payouts is not there. I can see the top curves of the lettering for it as the top line disapears, but it cuts off and I eventually see my laptop background and the payout structure is completely missing. I even tried swithcing the res on windows to all possible settings and then swithed the extended display res in TD to match. Still the same thing.

Am I missing something??? Or do I just need all new tv's like my new 55" Vizio TV that is less than 1 year old and then I wouldn't have any issues???

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 03:56:32 PM »
... when the laptop is hooked up, I cannot see the bottom half of the taskbar on the tv, and about the same amount of space is missing on the top, left, and right sides as well, even though I see all of it on my laptop.

Am I missing something???

No, but we were.  Previously you mentioned that part of TD layout was missing, making it sound as if it were a TD issue.  You didn't mention that part of the screen is also missing when the TD isn't running.

Not to pass the buck, but this no longer sounds like a TD issue, but rather a Windows issue or a TV/hardware issue.  That makes a difference when you are searching for a solution from within the context of the TD.

This is definitely not my area of expertise, but if you are connecting using an HDMI cable, and both TVs are capable of 1080p, and it works on one and not the other, I'd start looking into settings on the TV on which it is not working.  There are many, many HD resolutions, of which 720p and 1080p are only 2.  But not all TVs support all resolutions.  One of your TVs may simply not support those alternate resolutions (although they should all support 1280x720).

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 04:18:04 PM »
I concur - doesn't sound like TD but rather screen resolution. As Corey said, not all TVs (or computer monitors, for that matter) will support every resolution. But you should be able to change TV resolution this way, if you're running Win7:  Control Panel -> Display -> Adjust resolution (on left). Make sure that you select the proper display - click identify if unsure, and it'll show a number on it. From there, change the resolution, and click apply, so you can change it again if needed w/o going through all the steps to get back there.

(If you're already aware, I'm sorry)
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 06:08:52 AM »
What cable are you using to connect to your other devices?  If I am right it sounds like you are using HDMI cables which are really good for some things but IMO are crap for extended/duplicated displays (i.e. PC connections), VGA/SVGA cables are far less troublesome.

I had similar problems with HDMI when I used to use that as my standard for connecting to displays, now everything I do is on VGA cables at 1024x768. For example I had an HDMI 1-4 output device which worked great but each tele handled the supply differently so I would have different display issues on some teles, with parts of the screen not fitting correctly.

The resolution for a duplicated display can only be adjusted on Windows Screen Resolution, and you will experience more issues than an extended display as the LCD and Laptop will only support a resolution which which can be handled by both, for example my Laptop is 1600x900, but if I run it as a duplicated display on my desktop display the maximum output is 1366x768.

EDIT: I also wander if you are moving the laptop from LCD to LCD without restarting TD or re-configuring the display, if you have it open and then just move locations without TD3 being 'informed' of the change of resolutions it will have problems, for example I could load TD3 now, and click move to extended display (which will be 1366x768 when at home), then goto a venue, hook up the projector and the extended display would appear on the projector not placed correctly, so I would need to click "move to main display" then "move to extended display" so it placed correctly.  In your case if you kept TD open you would need to move it to extended display then back to main display to place it correctly once hooked up to the new LCD

Regards
Stu
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:15:04 AM by Stuart Murray »
Stuart Murray

bmontana33

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 08:33:52 AM »
I'm sorry for any confusion...I didn't realize they were any size issues outside of TD at first becuase I wasn't focused on that, just getting TD to display properly. I'm connecting my laptop to my tv's wirelessly, using:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-WY555AA-ABC-Wireless-Connect/dp/B00462QT62/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331130264&sr=8-2

As far as closing TD each time I change a resolution, I'm pretty sure I have tried that, but I changed res so many times that it's probable I didn't each time. And yes, I'm running windows 7...which I'm still getting used too.

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 12:31:17 PM »
I'm connecting my laptop to my tv's wirelessly, using:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-WY555AA-ABC-Wireless-Connect/dp/B00462QT62/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331130264&sr=8-2

And the likely cause of your problems, this device will have it's own native resolutions built in for transmitting video signal, seriously buy a few VGA cables off ebay for £2, far simpler and far more straightforward.

Regards
Stu
Stuart Murray