Author Topic: My Layout - For Sale?  (Read 18856 times)

TIMMER

• View Profile
Re: My Layout - For Sale?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 11:03:21 AM »
OK the guys have agreed to take a rake from the next game ( Friday ) to buy a Professional layout (yours) But they need one thing a ( pic ) of your blinds over or at 10,000 & antes at 500. And the Prizes to 5 places at least or if the prizes can be rotated to show 5 places that'll be great.                                                           Edit.........No need too ask, We won't re-post it for free
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 11:16:23 AM by TIMMER »

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 11:25:53 AM »
Alright.... I've been paying attention to this thread, and now I think I need to make a comment. I understand where Adz was coming from with the initial post. I also see the issue that most people have with charging for it. Personally, I would agree that this wouldn't be the place for it. It does look nice and professional, but by no means is it "in a class of its own" as far as layouts go. I've seen many layouts in my short time here that personally, look better. That's just my opinion. I also agree with GreenTurtle in that this is turning in to a bigger dick contest, which doesn't need to happen. I personally think the best thing to happen is to agree to disagree on this one.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 03:33:34 PM »
Mr. Adz, try the layout I left for everybody (the xmas one earlier in this post. install all the fonts and sounds and compare with your own. if you feel yours is still more professional looking it is because there isn't any way to judge 'professional'. i find my layout is the most professional. timmer and mahound find their's the most professional. it is why we ise those ones and not others.
I had thought about charging for my layouts and thought about making custom layouts for others for money as well. However, I quickly changed my attitude on that when I saw the help I received in this forum. I could not morally take money from anyone here and expect free help in return.
BTW,
I posted a link to my christmas layout (with fonts and sounds...) here is my halloween layout
www.jodystacey.com/halloween.zip

Kinda late for halloween but install it and use it for next year.
Jody

Adz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 05:51:09 PM »
Mr. Adz, try the layout I left for everybody (the xmas one earlier in this post. install all the fonts and sounds and compare with your own. if you feel yours is still more professional looking it is because there isn't any way to judge 'professional'. i find my layout is the most professional. timmer and mahound find their's the most professional. it is why we ise those ones and not others.
I had thought about charging for my layouts and thought about making custom layouts for others for money as well. However, I quickly changed my attitude on that when I saw the help I received in this forum. I could not morally take money from anyone here and expect free help in return.
BTW,
I posted a link to my christmas layout (with fonts and sounds...) here is my halloween layout
www.jodystacey.com/halloween.zip

Kinda late for halloween but install it and use it for next year.
Jody

Please post a screenshot

Adz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 05:54:55 PM »
Alright.... I've been paying attention to this thread, and now I think I need to make a comment. I understand where Adz was coming from with the initial post. I also see the issue that most people have with charging for it. Personally, I would agree that this wouldn't be the place for it. It does look nice and professional, but by no means is it "in a class of its own" as far as layouts go. I've seen many layouts in my short time here that personally, look better. That's just my opinion. I also agree with GreenTurtle in that this is turning in to a bigger dick contest, which doesn't need to happen. I personally think the best thing to happen is to agree to disagree on this one.

I dont see any issue with charging for your work? The software it runs on costs so what is so wrong about paying for a good quality, well made layout. It happens with all software. Take CubeCart for example, it is a web shopping cart software and there are lots of websites where people create skins for it and sell them. They also have a support forum where people help each other out..

Like I say made it because I wanted something like it and couldn't find it and if I could find it I would have paid for it myself. That is all I base my argument on. If people dont want to pay for it thats fine, they just wont have it and its no big deal?

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 06:00:31 PM »
screenshots wont do it justice. my xmas layouts are animated. and both layouts have 6 or 7 different screens each. click on the link, extract the zip files nto your template folder and install the fonts and load the layout and sounds templates.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 10:41:01 PM »

I dont see any issue with charging for your work? The software it runs on costs so what is so wrong about paying for a good quality, well made layout. It happens with all software. Take CubeCart for example, it is a web shopping cart software and there are lots of websites where people create skins for it and sell them. They also have a support forum where people help each other out..

Like I say made it because I wanted something like it and couldn't find it and if I could find it I would have paid for it myself. That is all I base my argument on. If people dont want to pay for it thats fine, they just wont have it and its no big deal?

I'm not saying that you're wrong to charge for your work. What I do question is stating on here that you are selling it. I'm not upset about it, especially since it was cleared through Corey. Perhaps there could be a sticky topic on this board for that? I'm only speaking for myself in saying that I think what many people have the issues with is that at some point we all need help, and at some point, we all provide help, all for free. I'm not intentionally trying to take sides here, and if it seems that way, I apologize. I am trying to see things from both sides of this controversial topic, and attempt to give my two cents worth.

Corey, would it be feasible to put something like that on here? (the layouts for sale topic)
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Adz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »

I'm not saying that you're wrong to charge for your work. What I do question is stating on here that you are selling it. I'm not upset about it, especially since it was cleared through Corey. Perhaps there could be a sticky topic on this board for that? I'm only speaking for myself in saying that I think what many people have the issues with is that at some point we all need help, and at some point, we all provide help, all for free. I'm not intentionally trying to take sides here, and if it seems that way, I apologize. I am trying to see things from both sides of this controversial topic, and attempt to give my two cents worth.

Corey, would it be feasible to put something like that on here? (the layouts for sale topic)

that is fair enough, I will provide as much help as I can for free to people, I can even make some quick free layouts. some things just dont come for free thats what I was trying to say.

As for the xmas layout, no offence but I dont want to install it because I know I wont use it. It took me ages to develop my own layout so theres no chance I would ditch it. I think a screenshot would suffice.

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 03:07:46 PM »
when you install another layout, it doesn't overwrite anything you already have. you can go from one to another as you wish and even in the middle of a tournament.
if you look,TD comes with several layouts already. go ahead and extract the folder into your templates folder and load the layout

Adz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 08:10:16 PM »
when you install another layout, it doesn't overwrite anything you already have. you can go from one to another as you wish and even in the middle of a tournament.
if you look,TD comes with several layouts already. go ahead and extract the folder into your templates folder and load the layout

i know that, i dont want to install it

Double Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 05:37:52 PM »
.. so how much does 8 hours cost ?

'Bout Tree Fiddy.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 12:21:39 AM »
Man I picked the wrong time to go on vacation.

Adz did clear it with me. I cleared Adz to post that it was or would be for sale, and to discuss it.  But not to actually sell it here.  He stuck to the guidelines, and honestly some of you were a bit rough on him.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with selling a layout.  Some of you may think it's silly.  But what might be trivial for one of you to accomplish with a layout may look like quantum physics to someone else.

Adz, feel free to sell the layout.  Post a link to your site, if you choose to do so.  At that point I suppose the market will decide.

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 01:21:05 PM »
The roughness was started by him,  the only  problem i had was the word professional, know where on my post do i clam the word professional. But with about 5 more min, I could finish this,... just saying, and it still wont be a  professional layout

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 02:07:22 PM »
In defense of Adz, I consider all my layouts professional. I was deeply impressed with my first layout and as I played around more and more with TD my layouts got better. This is probably where Adz is at. He may become a strong source of help in the future and, while I understand feeling a bit of insult by somebody trying to sell a layout in a place where all the help is free, pushing back at him may deter him from visiting the forums and offering input as he learns.
Adz, I think your best avenue to generate some income off of layouts would to first make several and post a few. Show off what you are able to do. Offer to make custom layouts for a fee. Many people use buttons in their layouts, others don't. I use a lot of flash in mine. Bottom line is by posting layouts here and 'selling' it won't work. As you saw Timmer reproduced your layout in minutes. In my experience the hardest part of creating an attractive and useful layout is creating it in your mind, the blueprint. You post this and it can be reproduced very quickly (including the ones I use flash animations in). I do actually recommend you install several of the layouts posted in here to get an idea of the complexity of layouts and their components.
I (hopefully) will start posting some of my layouts on my website as of tonight (the zip files are sometimes large because of audio files and fla files). I have collected material for a super-heros layout (spiderman, superman, batman, the hulk) and a villians layout as well (terminator, freddy etc) with appropriate sounds too. I had a NHL layout (left it at my former club and didnt keep a copy for myself. It had flash embedded in it that displayed hockey scores in real time. I'll make a not to do an NFL one too hopefully before next NFL season.
Adz, keep make many (they get better each time) and show off what you can do then go 'fishing'
Jody
www.jodystacey.com

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 02:27:49 PM »
 I agree with its in your own mine, But I disagree with this, and as far as that goes heres the pic from the five year old, he's proud of it, and thats all that matters, last post on this, im out.     http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=3107.msg14650#msg14650   http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=3107.msg14673#msg14673
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 02:32:27 PM by TIMMER »