Author Topic: Norton won't let me download software  (Read 1203 times)

DominicStokes

• View Profile
Norton won't let me download software
« on: September 24, 2013, 10:00:12 AM »
Hi there,

I did a PC refresh which removed the Td software now Norton won't let me download it again . Any ideas. See snip attached

DominicStokes

• View Profile
Re: Norton won't let me download software
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 05:16:18 PM »
Ignore the message a problem with Norton not being installed properly they sorted it for me. sorry all safe!!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Norton won't let me download software
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 05:46:56 PM »
I got alerted to this just last night from someone else.  A quick search on "WS.Reputation.1" shows that Norton implemented this feature several years ago, and since then it's received a huge number of complaints.  It's basically "crowd sourcing", and a bad form of it.  Look at your screenshot.  Norton has concluded that the Tournament Director software is "BAD", not because it has any type of virus or other malware, not because it looks like a virus or malware, not because it matches any signature or exhibits any bad behavior, but because (a) they (Symantec) doesn't know much about it, (b) it isn't HUGELY popular among their users, and (c) it isn't very old (it was released 4 months ago).  It's a terrible way to determine how an application is going to behave, and now because of this really crappy anti-virus software countless people will likely skip downloading the Tournament Director software because Norton gave them a false diagnosis of it.

I've submitted a "whitelist" request to Symantec.  It's just too bad that anyone has to do this in the first place (and I'll have to do it with all subsequent releases of the software in order to remain on the whitelist).