« on: November 09, 2013, 12:13:59 PM »
I get this a lot lately

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: OOPS
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 02:46:02 PM »
FINALLY!

This error has been showing up in my server error logs for over a year now.  There are literally thousands of errors reported.  Typically, for whatever reason, when it is reported it is reported dozens of times at once from the same TD.  The server actually limits how many errors can be reported to prevent overwhelming the server, so after 20 or so errors reported the server essentially "bans" the endpoint and just ignores it.  I had to do this because I released a version a few years ago that reported an error every time the main screen was updated (once per second) but didn't show any error to the user.  Some people left the TD running for days so there were tens of thousands of errors reported.

Anyway, this error has been driving me nuts because I have NEVER encountered it myself, but I have done everything I can to figure out what's wrong.  But I just don't see this error.  Ever.  And after a year you are the first person to ever report it!

It's a little strange because it isn't the TD error dialog, it's the built-in IE error dialog, which shouldn't happen.  But that gives me a little bit of a hint as to where it might be occurring.

Alright, so when do you see it?  Does it happen at some point consistently?

The Meal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 10:36:09 PM »
I generate this error when my iframe calls a .html file which isn't properly created with my .php script.  *I* know what's going on (the reason for the error is because the .xml file which the php script calls is not fully populated, so due to the null cells the script dies and the html page craps out), but didn't realize that I was spamming the error logs on the server.  I'll generate a new error every time my screen set changes (every 20-40 seconds, depending) as that's how I ping my html file to see if a new song is playing.

If you see this error generating from my account, feel free to ignore!

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 11:16:32 AM »
Here's two more...i did notice when it happen the same way the other one did is, Going away from the wifi, then coming back in range.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 11:41:12 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm starting to wonder if this is due to the inclusion of jQuery.  I had hoped to take advantage of it, in however limited a capacity, but the 3.2 beta showed it was problematic within the TD for some users.  So, it isn't being used, but it is being included, which may still cause an issue.

If anyone else is experiencing this and can add any information, please do.

Linker_Split

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 11:51:14 AM »
I have EXACTLY the same errors, but, worst thing, during a tournament!
Just imagine to have a 100 players tournament running, then it appears this error suddendly, and the program doesn't work anymore...

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 12:09:22 PM »
Is it repeatable?  That is, does it always happen when you do some specific thing?  Or does it just randomly occur?

Also, "the program doesn't work anymore"?!  What do you mean?  Most errors that occur in the TD, honestly, can be ignored.  What I mean is that you can usually just continue to use the software, as it doesn't cause the application to crash or corrupt anything.  Usually you just can't use some specific feature.  When you get this error does it cause the application to crash completely?

Linker_Split

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 01:18:04 PM »
Is it repeatable?  That is, does it always happen when you do some specific thing?  Or does it just randomly occur?

Also, "the program doesn't work anymore"?!  What do you mean?  Most errors that occur in the TD, honestly, can be ignored.  What I mean is that you can usually just continue to use the software, as it doesn't cause the application to crash or corrupt anything.  Usually you just can't use some specific feature.  When you get this error does it cause the application to crash completely?
When I will get the error, I'll show you with an image.
Basicaly, sometimes appears an error that if I close it, then another error window pops uo suddendly after it and it doesn't stop.
In this way I can't use the TD, and IF the error windows disappear after I click the x, I can't use the program anymore (can't click anything)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 03:38:51 PM »
Yeah, what I suspect is that this is a semi-random condition that causes this error, and it occurs right when a dialog opens.  The problem is that the error causes the TD's error dialog to open.  But since this random condition is still present, the error dialog itself runs into the same error, which triggers another error dialog.  Which runs into the same error and triggers another error dialog.  And it repeats until it runs into a "stack overflow" error, which is a more system level dialog so it doesn't suffer from the same problem.  When I simulate this (since I can't actually reproduce this error), about 25 error dialogs open before the "stack overflow" error appears.  But I can close them all and continue using the TD software.  You're saying that you can't do that?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 03:40:46 PM »
By the way, if you run into a situation where you can't seem to click anything on the TD, try first pressing ESC to see if the issue clears, and if that doesn't work then click on the TD window (to make sure it has focus) and press Alt+F4.  It could be that some dialog (error or otherwise) is off screen.  Pressing ESC (or Alt+F4) might close it and allow the TD to be usable again.