Author Topic: Rebuy - Coming back in - Blinds  (Read 4347 times)

Radium

• View Profile
Rebuy - Coming back in - Blinds
« on: May 13, 2008, 02:29:03 AM »
In our home games we always have rebuys for the first hour, but an issue has just arisen.

This came up in our last game, a player decided that he would re-buy but choose to sit out a round or two.
When he decided to come back in he had just missed the blinds. So we told him that he would have to post a forced blind or wait until the blind comes back around to him.

This was ok, but does this mean that if you went out out and re-brought instantly would you have to immediately post a blind/ or wait for the blind to come around to come back into the game or would it carry on as usual?

Thanks guys.

badbeat

• View Profile
Re: Rebuy - Coming back in - Blinds
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 02:52:56 AM »
I've only got limited experience of rebuys, but normally if you don't rebuy before the next hand is dealt, you're out and cannot rebuy. Would you allow someone buy into the game after you have started? Normally, in cash games, you post a big blind or wait until the big blind reaches you.

I would suggest you decide how you want to control your rebuys and post the rebuy structure using a <rules> token.

Radium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 02:58:41 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

True that's a good point.

"Would you allow someone buy into the game after you have started?"

Well yes we do, If somebody turns up late then we allow them to buy in, and ply it as a rebuy.

What does everyone else think? If you out, are you still entitled to rebuy?

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 07:45:37 AM »
The whole purpose of a tournament is that people are forced to make action due to the increasing blinds so that there will be a single winner within a short span of time. To allow someone to sit out kind of defeats the spirit of things. In a cash game this is totally fine. But its kind of cheating to allow a player to sit out and miss blinds while his opponents are forced to make the payments. If the table was ok with it, you could allow him to rebuy immediately, put his chips on the table and pay his blinds when it comes to him. I say this because in some places the rules state that if you miss your blinds X amount of times then the player was ejected from the tournament and his/her chips were forfeited (I read this on the 2+2 forums).

As for your last question, so long as his blinds are paid, he can come back into play whenever he so wants. He paid for it.

badbeat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 10:28:27 AM »
I think, once you've listened to people's opinions, you need to decide amongst your fellow players how you want to structure your rebuys and introduce it. That way, everyone is clear how the rebuys work and there should be no more confusion. It's your game, you decide the structure, there's no strict rules to tell you what to do, as long as you're happy, that's what's important.

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 12:06:33 PM »
I also do not see how you can miss blinds in a tournament.  It certainly would not be allowed via Roberts Rules of Poker or the Tournament Director Association rules of poker.

In either of these rule set ups.  You have to rebuy right away and continue to play within the normal course of the blinds.  Of course you can sit out as many hands as you want (well, most only allow you to be away from the table for a full round) - but your blinds are still posted for you if you are away from the table and if you are at the table you have to post blinds.

In either case you should always be dealt cards (whether you are at the table or not) and the dealer will muck your cards for you as soon as all the hole cards are dealt if you are not at the table.  If you are at the table and don't want to play, the dealer will still expect you to muck your hole cards on your own (whether you look at them or not is your choice).

But in tournament play you cannot sit out hands and not pay blinds.

Even if people buy in late, their chip stacks should have been at the table and their blinds posted for them.  In an unusual situation where a stack was not at a table at tourney start-up and someone bought in, I would expect the stack to be decreased by the number of blinds that should have been posted.  But this brings up the problem of what to do with those chips.  I would probably take them out of play because if you put them all into that first hand pot, then it gives the person who just entered into the game too much of an opportunity to win all his blinds back in one hand.

my 2 cents

Radium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 01:38:09 AM »
They are some good points guys. Thanks.

Gruffse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 01:59:49 AM »
In my opinion the player would have to Re-Buy imediately to keep his seat in the tournament. (If not he is out of the tournament)
(The Re-Buy option is offered before you deal the next hand)
Then the player may sit-out for a while, but will have to put in his blinds when it comes to him.

Also: If players arrive late, I think it is better to buy them in at the start of the tournament and treat them as sit-outs (posting their blinds etc) until they arrive.
This way you make sure that there is no advantage in arriving later and you get a more consistent treatement of the Buy-In's and the Re-Buy's.

FourAcesPoker

• Big Slick "The Hitman"
    • View Profile
    • Four Aces Poker
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 12:57:18 PM »
Any time I have had a re-buy tournament, once you are out you immediately re-buy. If you choose to sit out you lose your chips from the blinds as they come around, you muck your cards on each deal. The other players at the table I'm sure would be confused when they deal having to make sure they don't skip that player, soon turning into a little frustration. It's happened only once in any of my home games. Besides, why would you re-buy and then WAIT for the blinds to get HIGHER? That's the only part that doesn't make sense to me.
Big Slick "The Hitman"
Certified Tournament Director
Tournament Directors Association
Four Aces Poker
"Can you beat Four Aces?"