Author Topic: League Formula Help  (Read 1220 times)

clbg571

• View Profile
League Formula Help
« on: July 31, 2009, 01:49:27 AM »
Converted to TD would be:

sqrt(((n * bc) * (bc / tc))) / (r + 1.0)

Hello,
My league is going to consist of 10 monthly tournaments with only the top 7 monthly scores count.  Very simply, I want my league points for each tourney based on:
  • # of Entrants
  • Place of Finish

I plugged in Dr Neau's formula quoted above and I'm happy with the results.  I'm sure some of the formula is overkill as there will be no rebuys/add-ons in our tournies and all 10 will have the same buy-in amount.  But, my question is for my 10th/last tourney.  The 10th tourney I want the point totals to be skewed higher than the first 9 tournies.  I don't want it to double in points, maybe closer to 1 1/2 times in points.  How would I skew the formula above to achieve the results I'm looking for in the 10th tourney since it's the same buy-in amount?

Also, is there a way to add into the formula so only the top 7 scores are totaled and counted?  Or, would this be something I enter in stats genie (which I'm planning to import the results into)?

Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: League Formula Help
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 09:23:20 AM »
The thing to remember is that your Points for Playing formula, set on the Game tab, is specific (unique) to that tournament.  You can change it for any particular tournament to compute points differently.  The "Tournament Scoring" formula, set on the Stats tab (in the Filter), is a "common" formula that computes a score for each player, for each tournament, using the same formula for all tournaments.  It makes it easy to change the formula in one place and have it affect all of the tournaments for which you are computing stats.

If you are using Points for Playing, just modify the formula for the 10th tournament (for example, just add "* 1.5").  If you are using the Tournament Scoring formula, well, it can't distinguish one tournament from another so there's not really any way to give the 10th tournament more weight.

To count only the top 10, you'll need to use the Tournament Scoring formula and then set the Overall Formula to something like:

sum(top(7, scores))

clbg571

• View Profile
Re: League Formula Help
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 11:31:10 AM »
The thing to remember is that your Points for Playing formula, set on the Game tab, is specific (unique) to that tournament.  You can change it for any particular tournament to compute points differently.  The "Tournament Scoring" formula, set on the Stats tab (in the Filter), is a "common" formula that computes a score for each player, for each tournament, using the same formula for all tournaments.  It makes it easy to change the formula in one place and have it affect all of the tournaments for which you are computing stats.

If you are using Points for Playing, just modify the formula for the 10th tournament (for example, just add "* 1.5").  If you are using the Tournament Scoring formula, well, it can't distinguish one tournament from another so there's not really any way to give the 10th tournament more weight.

To count only the top 10, you'll need to use the Tournament Scoring formula and then set the Overall Formula to something like:

sum(top(7, scores))

thanks for the quick response corey!  i'll give it a shot when i get home from work.