Author Topic: moved from 64bit to 32bit environment, paths seem hardcoded?  (Read 1559 times)

shushs

• View Profile
moved from 64bit to 32bit environment, paths seem hardcoded?
« on: February 02, 2011, 04:30:42 PM »
I initially installed TD on a Vista laptop. When Windows 7 came available, I moved over to the 64bit version. This meant that certain files are stored in "c:\program files\" and some in "c:\program files(x86)\".
Windows 7 did not work well with my set up (due to no vendor supplied Windows 7 video drivers) so, my S-Video output ended up causing the laptop to either reboot, stop responding, or just blue screen. Obviously, if this happens while running a tournament, I have a problem.

My solution was to install Ubuntu on the laptop and use VirtaulBox OSE to run a Windows XP (legal) virtual machine. This works very well. What does not work well is that when I restore from my backup, some of my layouts and templates (maybe most of them) fail to load properly because of the Path issue. I was able to work around one of those issues by just re-selecting the path. I tried to get around by re-installing, even installing the Beta to see if things were a bit more configurable. The first (and hopefully only) problem I have found is when I try to load 'Automatic' prizes, I am presented with a dialog that states "the configuration file is missing or has an error ... click on the Configure button.' When I do that, the next dialog pops up, and the path is displayed at the top of the page, but there is no where to edit.

Can I edit some file, or files, to pull out all of the ' (x86)' references?

Thanks ahead of time.

shushs

• View Profile
Re: moved from 64bit to 32bit environment, paths seem hardcoded?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 04:44:25 PM »
Well, I guess I was a bit premature in posting. I have solved this myself.

I just edited prefs.sav with vi and removed ' (x86)' and everything loads.

Sorry for taking your time.

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 04:45:05 PM »
lol was just about to post a reply telling you to edit your target files in prefs.

Stu
Stuart Murray

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 11:57:10 AM »
The TD (since version 2.5.6, IIRC) stores its data in your "My Documents" folder - but can be modified by using the Data Stores feature to store it where ever you choose.  The only items that should be stored in the install location, outside of the program itself, would be the suggested prizes and automatic prizes configuration files.  I can see those giving you trouble if you restored your installation of the TD from a 32-bit to a 64-bit Windows installation.  Technically, you should probably move the TD from "Program Files" to "Program Files (x86)", since 32-bit programs go in the (x86) folder, but I think right now this is probably a convention and not a requirement.  But I'm not sure why you would have trouble loading templates, or saved tournaments, etc.

Any paths referenced by the TD *should* be configurable in its preferences.  If you want to edit the prefs.sav file manually and it works for you, more power to you, but FYI all of those paths should be exposed by a preference.

In 2.6, when you clicked the "Configure" button when you got the error for the Automatic Prizes configuration file, the path at the top of the dialog is not editable directly, but there should be a "Change" button next to it - the equivalent of a "Browse..." button, so you can browse to the autoPrizes.xml file.

shushs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 04:18:36 PM »
Corey,

Thanks for the update. After looking more deeply, I guess the issue is not 'I cannot seem to configure this' but one of, 'the Configure button does not open a configuration dialog box.' I did move from 64bit back to 32bit, so the prefs file referenced the now, non-existant "x86" directory.

I did edit the file directly, but also found that via the 'Preferences' dialog I could have set that value.
When I tried to open the prizes directly, I got the 'cannot open template' error and was presented with a button to configure, but that button did not open the appropriate dialog box.

In short, my issue is resolved. And you and your software have provided a way to change the value if a problem exists, but the direct route did not work. I really hope this makes sense.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 10:33:05 PM »
Well I'm certainly glad you've resolved it, however you did it.  I'm curious though - are you saying that pressing the "Change" button on the "Automatic Prizes Configuration" dialog did nothing?