Author Topic: Bounty questions  (Read 1513 times)

wbtczn

• View Profile
Bounty questions
« on: September 14, 2008, 08:31:55 PM »
I've read through the bounty posts and was able to answer some questions, but I still have a some questions.  These questions are based upon having random bounties:
  • Is there a way to set up prizes to calculate how much the payout for two random bounties is based upon $1 donation to the pot per player?
  • Can I include the answer to my first question as part of my automatic prizes?
  • I've got my screen layout configured to show the prizes and the winners of the prizes.  Can I configure the random prizes to see who the bounty person was, too?  In other words, instead of seeing 'Description won by player' it would say 'Hitman won the bounty on player' or, something like that?

Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bounty questions
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 11:03:44 AM »
Yes and no, I guess.  Technically, no, because prizes cannot be calculated dynamically using a formula.  In other words, you can't set a prize value to "3 * numberOfEntries", for example.  You must set it to a fixed amount (or percentage), but no variables are allowed.

You definitely can use the automatic prizes feature to work around this, but it could also be a pretty painful exercise depending on how many players you typically have (although it only has to be configured once).  I won't go into details on customizing the automatic prizes because you can find all the information on how to do this in the user manual.  But you would basically need to create a prize level for every amount of players you could have.  In other words, a prize level for 2 players, a prize level for 3 players, for 4 players, for 5 players, etc.  Since the amount of the bounty prize would change with every additional player in the tournament, you can't have prize levels for a range of entries - you have to have a prize level for each number of players.

The <prizes> token will update with the proper recipient of a prize that is a bounty on a random player when the prize is awarded, but does not display the name of the random player on whom the bounty rested.

wbtczn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 04:24:24 PM »
Say I had a tournament with 12 players in it, and each player puts in $1 for a bounty.  I'd have two random bounties of $6.  I know I'd need two entries in the prize template (one for each bounty).  What would the syntax be for that prize?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 03:38:30 PM »
Code: [Select]
  <prizeLevel minPlayers="12" maxPlayers="12">
    <prize rank="1" name="1st Place" fixed="6" />
  </prizeLevel>

This post was a few months ago, so I don't remember exactly what I was thinking when I wrote it, but perhaps I misled you.  While you can work around the fact that prizes do not take formulaic amounts, you can't use the Automatic Prizes feature to create random/bounty prizes.  Sorry about that.

wbtczn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:19:36 PM »
Guess it's a request to add to the upgrade list, then.  :) Thanks Corey.