Author Topic: overall score formula question  (Read 1509 times)

ortant

• View Profile
overall score formula question
« on: June 15, 2009, 08:13:11 AM »
Hi there.
I'm running a league where we play for ranking during the season, which ends in a season final.
The chipstack in the final is based on the season ranking.
I've been trying to get the overall scores in TD to translate the season scoring into chips, so i can show the players how many chips they are eligible for during the season, but without luck.

Can anyone help me create a formula that awards 100 chips(points, whatever) for each rank in the overall score.
I've been trying to use the formula
(if(leaguerank <=nm, 100 * (nm-leaguerank+1),0))
which works if i put it in "tournament scoring", but i want something similar to work as an all over score.

I use the formula
(1 - (r / (n + 1))) * 100
in points for playing.

Cheers
Ortant

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: overall score formula question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 10:14:30 AM »
If I understand correctly, there really isn't any way to do this.  The reason is that, in your particular setup, your Overall Score formula is what really determines the player's ranking.

We should call this "ordering" really, so as to not confuse it with a player's "ranking" for a particular tournament.  For your Stats, you've created a formula that will create a value for each player.  The higher the value, the better the player did overall.  After a value is determined for each player, you can see how the players are ordered based on that value.  It would be then, after all of the other computation has been done, that you then assign a rank (or order) to each player, and then compute the player's bonus chips.  I think you're going to have to do this by hand...

ortant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:33:19 AM »
Thanks for your reply, Corey..
i was afraid you'd say that, hehe...
I kinda expected that answer.
Doing the calculation for the season final chip stack is not a problem. That's just awarding 100 chips per rank.
I was hoping to have some sort of continous calculation during the year, automated by TD. But, if it's not possbile, then there's not much to do about it..

.. unless of course you could allow the usage of the same code in "Overall score" as in "points for playing" and "Tournament scoring" ;) I think that would solve my "problem" :D

*thinks for a second* aah.. and of course let it do the calculation based on the overall filter :D

Ortant

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 01:04:21 PM »
.. unless of course you could allow the usage of the same code in "Overall score" as in "points for playing" and "Tournament scoring" ;) I think that would solve my "problem" :D

*thinks for a second* aah.. and of course let it do the calculation based on the overall filter :D

Ortant

Actually, it wouldn't.  The overriding problem is that the calculation of stats requires a multi-step process, and for your purposes - to calculate a chip bonus based on ranking by one of the Overall Sooring formulas - would require an additional step in the process, and the TD doesn't have provisions for this.

It's an interesting thought to perhaps see if something like this could be incorporated.  I'll make a note of it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  :)

ortant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 01:08:56 PM »
NOt quite sure what  you meant in that last post other than that I'm wrong in something.. hehe.
just to add to my previous statement.. I'm not meaning that the overall score should SET the player chip count.. just that I want it to be able to do the previously stated calculations...

oh btw..

not holding my breath.. hehe
I'll just bring out the old Excel for now :D