Author Topic: TD & Windows 8  (Read 3495 times)

T-Bone

• View Profile
TD & Windows 8
« on: November 03, 2012, 08:40:53 AM »
Anyone tried it? If so, results?
If it ain't naked, deep-fried or poker-related, I ain't interested!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TD & Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 10:28:47 PM »
Admittedly I have not done much due diligence on Windows 8.  I think I, like a lot of others, were hoping Windows 8 would never see the light of day.  :)

I have run the TD software on both the release preview and on the final versions of Windows 8.  It has worked surprisingly well, given that it's a bump in both OS version and IE version, neither of which have gone down well with the TD in the past.  I have NOT done any extensive testing.  But in my casual testing, the only issues I have come across are (a) some UI issues in the status messages (no shadows) and (b) inconsistency in hotkey response.  (a) is insignificant but (b) could be an issue.  Hotkeys work, but sometimes it's as if the top-most window doesn't have focus, so hotkeys are ignored.  Not sure what is at play here.

So if you use the mouse to perform most actions, I don't see any issues.  If you use key presses, you might have some frustrating moments.

That's about as far as my experience goes thus far.

T-Bone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 04:09:47 AM »
Thanks for the info. As I can upgrade two of my PCs to Windows 8 Professional for a total of $55, I'll be taking the OS for a test drive. Probably loaded on a separate partition or on a virtual machine. I rarely use the hotkeys and have little--if any--interest in touch screens and using gestures "like on your smartphone." I'm so old, and old-fashioned, I use my smartphone to (gasp!) talk to people. I will never understand why anyone would choose to "thumb" their way through a 15 minute text exchange when they could accomplish the same thing in a 2 minute conversation.
If it ain't naked, deep-fried or poker-related, I ain't interested!

Mahound

• THE ONLY time i get screwed is when i play poker!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 01:21:53 PM »
apologies for not being on line for a while unfortunately i suffered a minor stroke 12 weeks ago and have been in hospital slowly on the mend after receiving intense physiotherapy. Interested in seeing how windows 8 and TD work together and will hopefully catch up with all the latest posts

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »
welcome back mahound. we all hope you recover fully.
Corey, if you could put like buttons on here I would have hit it 8 times for your comment about W8 not seeing the light of day.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
Hope you continue to recover well, Mahound!
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 11:41:01 AM »
Hope your recovery is going well MaHound

I have been running Windows 8 for two weeks now on my business laptop with commercial TD3 installed

A few things I have noted:

The extended Display set-up is easier, you simply hover over the devices, then second screen then click extended, Windows selects the best resolution but it can still be adjusted to suit by right clicking on the desktop

I have had a few issues with my USB Thermal Receipt Printer, as it is often not found despite being plugged in and working, I don't know how to fix it yet, without a computer restart to activate it again.

When editing most numerical fields, the numerics are centrally aligned when you click on them, which takes a little more precision when clicking on a field, but does not necessarily slow you down.

The taskbar appears on occasion on the extended display when I use programs such as excel, which is a little annoying, however it is opaque, so does not prevent viewing of any of the bottom screen information, and when I click back onto TD3 settings window it disappears again.

Otherwise I find it fine, however if I had given it some more trial my real verdict would be to stick with Windows 7 or at least until such time as I am fully familiar with how to work Windows 8 efficiently and correctly (I am still not sure how to do some tasks on Windows 8 )

Regards
Stuart
Stuart Murray

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 03:47:57 PM »
When editing most numerical fields, the numerics are centrally aligned when you click on them, which takes a little more precision when clicking on a field, but does not necessarily slow you down.

This is the only one that sounds TD-specific.  I'll have to check this out.  Or were you referring to something other than the TD?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 10:45:11 PM »
Turns out this is due to a new "feature" in IE10.  Text inputs now have a small "X" on the right-hand side when the input has any text in it and it has focus.  This is a "convenient" way for you to clear the input ... probably intended mostly for tablets and other touch-screen devices.  Click in the Event Name or Description fields on the Game tab and enter some text and see what I mean.

If the text is right-aligned instead of left-aligned, it causes the text in the input to "pop" to the left when the input has focus (in order to display the "X").  But the "X" doesn't even appear for smaller width text inputs (although the text still moves left when focus is on the input), so it isn't obvious what is happening.  It just looks like the text moves for no reason when you focus an input.

Pretty annoying, really.  From my preliminary research, it looks like they provided a way to turn it off.  Unfortunately, there's a bug in that it won't turn off if the browser is in compatibility mode (versus standards mode), which is what the TD runs in.  I'd like to move to standards mode, and it's on my short-list of big-ticket items, but it's a huge change that will likely break a lot of layouts (among other things).

The only workaround I see for now is to set the preference for numeric inputs to be left-aligned.  I'll have to keep digging to see how to fix this in the long run.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 11:18:28 PM »
I'm not seeing this on IE10 (release preview) and Windows 7.  Might be a Windows 8 thing only.

Although I do see some other glitches.  When you change selections in a <select>, like the "Categories" on the Preferences tab, if you use cursor keys to change the selection the previously selected item remains selected, too.  Annoying, but still functional.  Doesn't look like it happens to IE in browser mode - only in application mode.  Go figure.