Author Topic: "merge" function?  (Read 4775 times)

Linker_Split

• View Profile
"merge" function?
« on: November 11, 2012, 07:36:55 AM »
Hi Corey, is in your "to do" list a merge option?
I always have problems when running a multiday tournament: day1A-day1B-day1C-day1D-day2A-day2B-day3-final day
Problems are about chipcount import, status import

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
Re: "merge" function?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 01:03:02 PM »
I prepared a tournament last month for a multiple day 1 schedule. Unfortunately my bosses decided to use their other software that day so I never got to put my idea into practice. Here's what I wanted to do
At the end of your first day 1 place all your remaining players on the fewest tables possible (maybe even create one table with enough seats to seat all players and give your table a unique name just in case. Lock all player in their seats. That unique table should also be set to Collapse Last under the tables tab.
Day 2, Reset Tournament and keep player's buy-in then start buying in new players. Always refuse movement involving players from your 'unique' table. Continue on with your day as usual and always refuse player movement involving players from your first day.
Repeat this step for each additional Day 1. Your summary and chip counts will be accurate.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 10:59:26 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't resetting the tournament undo all the busts that have happened in the earlier days?
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 12:49:19 PM »
There are currently no plans for flighted tournaments (I guess this is what they're called).

If your tournament is just multi-day, it would seem to me that there's no support really needed - you just save the tournament, then load it up the next day and continue where you left off.

But for multiple flights on the same day (or at the same level, I guess) that merge at the next day/level, what type of usage and support would be needed?

I really don't know much about managing this type of structure, but I would think the functionality would be fairly simple:

1) Start a tournament as usual; add and buy-in players in this "flight".  Run the tournament.
2) At the end of the day/flight, "end" the flight.  There's no winner or chop.  There would simply need to be an "End flight" feature that marks the flight as "done".
3) A feature that allows a new tournament to be created by selecting one or more previously ended flights.  This would pull in the players from those flights with their current status (history from the previous flight(s), current chip count, etc; obviously already bought-in).

Given that's all I know about it, what else would there need to be?

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 04:21:38 PM »
1) Start a tournament as usual; add and buy-in players in this "flight".  Run the tournament.
2) At the end of the day/flight, "end" the flight.  There's no winner or chop.  There would simply need to be an "End flight" feature that marks the flight as "done".
3) A feature that allows a new tournament to be created by selecting one or more previously ended flights.  This would pull in the players from those flights with their current status (history from the previous flight(s), current chip count, etc; obviously already bought-in).

An idea to expand upon this... Create a league, call it "Day 1 A" (or something of the like), run it as suggested, removing those that bust the day from the league. That way, the buy ins stay the same, info wouldn't be lost, and would be easy to see who's still a part of the tournament, and repeat for the other days.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Linker_Split

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 12:06:41 PM »
Well, you can't just save day1A and then reset it because every day1 has its own number of players.
I'm having problems or better, it slows down my work when coming to "merge" players and their chipcount into one single file for day2
I always export day1 lists of players as csv (one per day1 disputed) but when comes to import from csv, there's no function that could also merge chipcount and status of players imported

Linker_Split

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 05:27:10 AM »
Well, you can't just save day1A and then reset it because every day1 has its own number of players.
I'm having problems or better, it slows down my work when coming to "merge" players and their chipcount into one single file for day2
I always export day1 lists of players as csv (one per day1 disputed) but when comes to import from csv, there's no function that could also merge chipcount and status of players imported

Hey Corey, I'm back in this thread.
What I was looking for, was either a "merge" function ora simply a way to import chipcount also.
When I export for example Day 1A in csv, I can export also chipcount, but when comes the importing process, there's no way to import it, and that is a big problem especially when running 100+ players per day tournament
Is it difficult to add chipcount as "import option"?

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 05:43:59 AM »
There are currently no plans for flighted tournaments (I guess this is what they're called).

If your tournament is just multi-day, it would seem to me that there's no support really needed - you just save the tournament, then load it up the next day and continue where you left off.

But for multiple flights on the same day (or at the same level, I guess) that merge at the next day/level, what type of usage and support would be needed?

I really don't know much about managing this type of structure, but I would think the functionality would be fairly simple:

Everything you presume above is correct, I think the workaround would be the ability to merge multiple tournaments together (names, status & chipcounts (basically export the players tab list from one tournament and merge with another)) into a new tournament which would be day 2.  I think that would be the easiest way to allow flights without actually having a fully fledged flights option within the software.
Stuart Murray

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 10:26:38 AM »

Hey Corey, I'm back in this thread.
What I was looking for, was either a "merge" function ora simply a way to import chipcount also.
When I export for example Day 1A in csv, I can export also chipcount, but when comes the importing process, there's no way to import it, and that is a big problem especially when running 100+ players per day tournament
Is it difficult to add chipcount as "import option"?

Well, I had a long response written out about how this implies buying players into the tournament, but that's not really the case.  Adding ChipCount might not be very difficult at all, but I'll have to look into it.

Linker_Split

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 02:30:02 AM »
Well, I had a long response written out about how this implies buying players into the tournament, but that's not really the case.  Adding ChipCount might not be very difficult at all, but I'll have to look into it.

Yeah, if you manage to add chipocunt as import data... you will solve lot of problems, really  :D :D
Because for example when I run an event, I have day1A-1B-1C, and let's say, 40 players left per day.
Everytime I import any of day1 into day2, I have to write manually chipcount, and it's a pain...  :(

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 11:05:11 AM »
It's been added for 3.2.

Linker_Split

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 06:03:40 AM »
It's been added for 3.2.

TY!
you can close this thread if you want! :)

#EDIT
I downloaded v 3.2 b4 and i can't find "chipcount" import option. It's because you added it after this version came out?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:23:57 AM by Linker_Split »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 02:55:01 PM »
Yes, it will be in the final 3.2, unless I continue to add stuff to the point that I have to do another round of beta testing.  I'm trying to avoid this but I seem to not be able to stop myself.  :)