Author Topic: Computer Crashed  (Read 2304 times)

rueuta

• View Profile
Computer Crashed
« on: October 25, 2014, 03:30:10 PM »
Earlier this week, the computer we run Tournament Director on had the power supply go bad and the computer crashed. Since then, the users have lost the functionality of the load button, the export from Summary button, and I tried to use the "browse" button to search for the default tournament template on the config option under preferences because that field is blank. I believe the save buttons are not functional as well.  The users can manually open the old saved tournaments from a shortcut they made on the desktop, but I would like to get this program working for them again.

The computer is a 64 bit running windows 7 professional sp1 and also running IE 11.  At first I thought it was an IE issue until they told me about the power supply issue.

We are running Tournament Director 3.1, however several of the file paths are pointed to Tournament Director 2 directories and I am not sure if this could be part of the issue.  I was not here when they upgraded from 2 to 3. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Crashed
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 09:48:24 PM »
Sounds like you've got this issue: http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=4343.0

The solution, for most people (unfortunately not all), is to roll IE back a version.  Here are the steps:

(1) Click on the "Start" button and type "Programs and Features" in the search box (or type "Programs and Features" in the search charm if you're running Windows 8)
(2) Click on the "View installed updates" in the left pane of the menu
(3) Go over to the "Uninstall an update" screen and scroll down to the "Microsoft Windows" section
(4) Select Internet Explorer 10 or 11 and click "Uninstall"
(5) Restart your PC

We are running Tournament Director 3.1, however several of the file paths are pointed to Tournament Director 2 directories and I am not sure if this could be part of the issue.  I was not here when they upgraded from 2 to 3. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

The application stores its data in a folder within your "Documents" folder.  That folder was originally named "The Tournament Director 2".  With the wisdom of hindsight, I wish I had not included the "2" in there.  When I was developing version 3, I realized changing it was really not an option, since it would cause difficulties for those upgrading from version 2.  So I left it as is.  It says "2", but it's the data storage location for version 2 and 3.

rueuta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 05:30:04 PM »
We rolled back to IE10 and still having issues.   

When we click the load button, a pop-up displays " This tournament has been modified. Would you like to save the changes?"  It doesn't matter which option (save or cancel) we choose, nothing loads.

We cannot create new tournament templates and cannot get the right screens to load in order to run the clocks. Any ideas?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 05:42:28 PM »
The issue is the software is calling an external component to open the "Browse" dialog, but that call is failing.  You'll get the "This tournament has been modified. Would you like to save the changes?" dialog because that's still within the TD application.  Nothing happens after that because the call to the external component apparently fails - which the TD interprets as "the user pressed the Cancel button on the Browse dialog".

Any ideas?

Try installing IE11 again.  Sorry to say that is the only thing so far (rolling IE back, or forward) that has "fixed" the issue for those affected by it.  I still have never personally seen this issue occur, so diagnosing it has been essentially impossible.  I've tried everything I can think of to replicate it - using different versions of IE, different versions of Windows, installing Windows updates, rolling updates back, installing numerous anti-virus software, even installing some known malware.

rueuta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 05:45:33 PM »
Okay I will give that a try then... :)

rueuta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 07:21:28 PM »
Well, rolling back IE worked.  ;D

I took it from another in my department they had uninstalled IE 11, but they hadn't and I didn't check it until you suggested re-installing IE 11. I performed the uninstall, restarted the computer, and it went all the way back to IE8, but we are up and running!

Thanks Corey!

~rueuta

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 02:02:18 PM »
Glad to hear it worked!

rueuta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 11:14:58 PM »
I wanted to also let you know the profile we run TD on is managed by active directory.  I logged into the same computer with my admin credentials before rolling IE11 back and the program ran like it was supposed to when I launched it, but wouldn't run properly under the regular credentials.

I just thought I would let you know how the issue could be profile specific on the same computer. Thanks again.