Author Topic: Automatic Prizes configuration / Display  (Read 10241 times)

Lafrog

• View Profile
Re: Automatic Prizes configuration / Display
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 02:09:30 PM »
If a solution for this is not possible programmatically, I would at the very least suggest that we get a function to create "Fixed amount" prizes from automatic generated prizes.

I think it's the same answer: override the prize amount.  Adjustments are applied before the remainder is computed and divided.  Overriding a prize takes over and says "this is the final prize amount".  It also removes it from being a recipient of any leftover prize money.

Any reason why adjustments are applied BEFORE the remainder is computed and divided?
Seems to me that adjustments should be applied AFTER everything is done, since we are in fact adjusting the FINAL value presented to us

And how about having a way to generate fixed prizes from automatically generated ones?

Lafrog

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 09:55:29 PM »
Any reason why adjustments are applied BEFORE the remainder is computed and divided?
Seems to me that adjustments should be applied AFTER everything is done, since we are in fact adjusting the FINAL value presented to us

To be quite honest, I'm not certain.  But I am certain it was done that way for a reason.  But the adjustment will usually affect what is left of the pot after being divided amongst the prizes.  Thus the "remainder", if any, would change, so that has to be applied last.  To affect that absolute FINAL value, you can override the prize amount.

And how about having a way to generate fixed prizes from automatically generated ones?

I'm not sure I follow you on this one.  Fixed prizes can be created using the Automatic prizes feature.

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 01:32:20 AM »

To be quite honest, I'm not certain.  But I am certain it was done that way for a reason.  But the adjustment will usually affect what is left of the pot after being divided amongst the prizes.  Thus the "remainder", if any, would change, so that has to be applied last.  To affect that absolute FINAL value, you can override the prize amount.
In my mind, adjustments should affect the resulting prize as it stands and not produce other changes to other prize(s)...

I'm not sure I follow you on this one.  Fixed prizes can be created using the Automatic prizes feature.

The automatic prize feature does not create fixed prizes, otherwise I would not have any problem with it.. In my case, automatic prizes are generated using preset percentages. What I would like to be able to do is convert those "percentage" based prizes into "fixed amount" prizes. All in one swoop.

Because while I can recreate each prize individually into fixed amount, I am losing the preset amounts as soon as I change one prize (because TD recomputes the other automatic prizes when I save). So I have to write down all the amount and recreate each prize individually. But if TD could generate "fixed amount" prizes from the actual "percent" prizes, it would be much easier. (But even easier would be to have "adjust by" only affecting the current prize)

Lafrog

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 12:03:24 PM »
I assure you the Automatic Prizes feature does create fixed prizes:

<prizeLevel minPlayers="10" maxPlayers="999999">
      <prize rank="1" percent="46" shareLeftover="true" />
      <prize rank="2" percent="27" />
      <prize rank="3" percent="17" />
      <prize rank="4" percent="10" />
      <prize fixed="100" name="This is a fixed prize" />
    </prizeLevel>

However, we may have different understanding of what it is you are trying to do.  The above will create a fixed prize with a $100 value.  It sounds like maybe you're wanting to have the prizes computed using the percentages, and then "fix" or lock them at a certain value.  Maybe?

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2016, 03:14:28 PM »
I assure you the Automatic Prizes feature does create fixed prizes:

<prizeLevel minPlayers="10" maxPlayers="999999">
      <prize rank="1" percent="46" shareLeftover="true" />
      <prize rank="2" percent="27" />
      <prize rank="3" percent="17" />
      <prize rank="4" percent="10" />
      <prize fixed="100" name="This is a fixed prize" />
    </prizeLevel>

However, we may have different understanding of what it is you are trying to do.  The above will create a fixed prize with a $100 value.  It sounds like maybe you're wanting to have the prizes computed using the percentages, and then "fix" or lock them at a certain value.  Maybe?
Yes, I would like the ability to generate Fixed Prizes FROM the percent values Automatically generated which I can then "Adjust By" any value without messing everything up...

Lafrog

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 11:30:55 AM »
So, why wouldn't overriding the value have the same effect?

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 01:09:07 PM »
So, why wouldn't overriding the value have the same effect?
Because as soon as you change one prize the others change as well... So you have to write them down to re-create them... Would be much easier if you could do iy in one swoop from within TD.

Lafrog

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 08:15:39 PM »
To be clear (and I hope I'm correct without digging too far back into the code), applying an adjustment OR overriding the value of a prize does NOT affect the calculation of other prizes with the exception of the leftover amount.  When you change the value of the prize by adjustment or override, you will affect the leftover amount, so it is redistributed which will affect the value of those prizes.  But only by the leftover amount.  Their calculated percentage is not affected.

I can see how a conversion could help.  I'll look into adding this feature in a future version.  Looks pretty straightforward.

In the meantime, for final deals made I would suggest just using the Chop feature.  Obviously this won't cover all scenarios, but for those final 2 or 3 players who make a deal, you can divvy up the prize money without affecting the prize values.