Author Topic: What's the difference betweeen a league and a season?  (Read 1419 times)

blackace

• View Profile
What's the difference betweeen a league and a season?
« on: February 07, 2008, 08:49:26 AM »
Hi all,

I have read the FAQ and i still can't figure out what's the difference between a league and a season?

Here's what i want to do:

I want my players to earn points when they play so i can give freebies to my regular players and reward those who who get good results.

What i want is something like airmiles for my players (i guess i could call them poker miles!)

:)

any help appreciated.

David

tandemrx

• View Profile
Re: What's the difference betweeen a league and a season?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 09:04:05 AM »
I think of league as a grouping of people from my database that are in a league competition together (e.g. it separates out my higher limit games with my more serious players from the lower limit couples grouping).  Some people are in both my leagues.  You might have a "Tuesday Night" league and  "Saturday night" league for tourneys you hold on those nights.  There may be some of the same people or even exactly the same people in each league, but you are separating out the competition based on that particular grouping or that particular event (tuesday games vs. Saturday games).

Seasons are simply periods that the league extends over.  I only have a "Winter" league (which is actually late fall, winter, early spring) and a "Summer" league.  This separates my leagues into 2 different seasons or periods of time.  Each season has about 6 tourneys for each of my leagues.  I score it such that people get points based on the top 4 tourney points they achieve during a particular season for each particular league.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:41:43 AM »
Further points:

- By grouping players into leagues, it makes adding players to your tournament easy.  When you press "Add Players", just select the league, click "check all", press OK.
- Leagues make it easy to see statistics on only a certain group of players.

Of course, if you only have 1 set of players (which is probably true of most people), you really don't need to create a league.   Then again, you may want to create a league to group your "regulars", and omit players that show up one-time, friends of other players, etc.

- Seasons are really for grouping tournaments, and have very little use beyond the Stats tab.  You can filter tournaments to see stats for a particular period of time by setting the Start and End dates in the filter, but it's easier and more intuitive to filter on a season.

blackace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 01:57:38 PM »
Thanks to both of you!

I think i get it.

;)