Author Topic: Newbie here Need help with Charity tourny (UPDATE 2/28/11)  (Read 5285 times)

HitShappens

• View Profile
Newbie here Need help with Charity tourny (UPDATE 2/28/11)
« on: February 17, 2011, 07:51:32 PM »
Hi all.

I have all my basic info loaded for an event that is being run for a friend who was stricken ill and is not only recovering but is facing a mountain of debt.

The guys running the tourny need a lot of help when it comes to the poker-side of things. I got the duty to organize the play so I turned to TTD.

Im trying to keep it as simple as possible, but I would like to have a logo that they had made on the screen somewhere as well as some messages(that change every few minutes) to thank peeps who have helped put this together.

I am admittadly not the shrapest knife when it comes to programming. Is what I am looking for possible?

Thanks for any help.  

Best,
HitShappens
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 09:25:02 AM by HitShappens »

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: Newbie here Need help with Charity tourny
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 08:15:05 PM »
Yes, it's fully possible. Depending on what you want to do with your logo, you could possibly get away with making it just a picture file (jpeg, gif), and TD can use it for a background.  As for the messages, that's also possible. Some questions as far as that go is (a) how long do you want each message up for? (b)How frequently do they change?

Side note - do you have buy in info (as well as rebuy/add-on, if your allowing for them) set up? Do you have prizes configured, or are you just awarding points?  Prior experience shows that if you can get it set up before hand, it'll make it easier come time to run the tourney. Also for when you have time: play around. It's how I learned a lot of what I know. Also, don't feel afraid to ask questions here.

Admittedly, I started off with just the basic blue/green layout. In the year I've been using TD, I've added screens, buttons to automate screens, set up leagues and seasons... There's really not much limit as to what TD can do. I know Timmer, Stumar, and JodyBingo (as well as the mastermind himself, CoreyCooper) are all very knowledgeable as well, and probably would be better able to set up the events easier than what I could, especially since it sounds like there's conditions that you'll need.

My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

HitShappens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 10:33:03 PM »
Hi Magic,

Thx for the input. To keep it as simple as possible, I would just need no more than 5 lines for messages. I don't know where to create them in TD nor where they show up. I assume I use the layout tab for this, but sadly, I am not seeing the forest through the trees. If they rotated every 60 seconds or so that would be great.

The image I have is 720x331 pixels, 141 kb in size. Can you tell/show me how I can get this image to be on the display screen?

Really appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 08:08:02 AM »
I'm using 2.6.b4, so if what I suggest doesn't work, it may be due to running different versions.

For the background picture, on the layout tab, double click anywhere on the white space between cells. From there, click on background, and beneath where it says 'no image', click browse, and find your picture. Since I doubt you have your screen resolution set to 720x331, you're probably going to have some blank space. One thing I've done, is once I know the resolution, I'll edit the image with Paint, and re-size it so that it matches the resolution.

My message I use is for pre-tournament, and I have it scroll across the screen. I did this by creating an event under the same-named tab. Is what I do something like what you're looking to do?
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 12:18:16 PM »
One ? on your pic, is it for the hole screen or just part of it,.... and for the marquee is this for Pre-Tourney or During a Game

HitShappens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 07:29:59 PM »
One ? on your pic, is it for the hole screen or just part of it,.... and for the marquee is this for Pre-Tourney or During a Game
Just for part of it. I would like the marquee to scroll during the topurny if possible, if not? So be it.  Here is the image that we have for the screen:

I would think that having the tourny info over it would be too busy. I can shrink the image to just be in the layout somewhere, I just don't know how to insert it...

Thx.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 07:39:24 PM »
Here's the marquee that I have for mine.
Code: [Select]
<marquee loop=1 width=800 scrollamount=15>Starting with week one of this session, you MUST purchase a drink. This may be a soda, but not someone else's pitcher.</marquee>
We recently moved from a true freeroll, to needing to purchase a drink. TD will auto detect the height for you, but not the width. Note on width - it in pixels, so if you copy this, you may need to change it to suit your needs. If you want it to loop continuously, then I believe you would need to take out the loop=1 part. The scrollamount determines how quickly the text scrolls, so you may need to change that to suit your needs. What I did is create an event, assigned a hot key to it (since I only need it pre tourney but not continuously), and moved it to the top. I'm not too keen on having a pic take up only part of the screen, but I figured I could chime in with the marquee part.
---

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »
The Layout tab, click Properties,check both box's ( Override) then click in the big-box ( background ) samething in the next box that appears fine your pic, then double click your pic, then click ok thats for the background,.... and you can put a pic in any cell to.... for just the background for that cell.....And the marquee you can scroll across the screen or up the screen or downwards

HitShappens

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 09:43:33 AM »
The Layout tab, click Properties,check both box's ( Override) then click in the big-box ( background ) samething in the next box that appears fine your pic, then double click your pic, then click ok thats for the background,.... and you can put a pic in any cell to.... for just the background for that cell.....And the marquee you can scroll across the screen or up the screen or downwards

This lost me I am afraid.  I click the layout tab, but the 2 properties buttons are Global and Other. I tried doing both and no Override boxs are present. I am on version 2.5.11 if that makes a difference.

Thx!

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 10:18:34 AM »
Under the Layout tab, there's a section called screen controls. the last one there, is the "properties" that Timmer's talking about. That will bring up the "Screen Properties" dialogue box, where you can override both the background colors as well as the borders (to turn them off). You can also click on the background box to insert your picture there. Hit ok to get out and you should be good to go.
---

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 11:25:07 AM »
Actually, the version does make a difference.  On 2.5.11, press the "Background" button on the Layout tab.

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 12:28:09 AM »
You can do it alot of ways, this is inside a cell

HitShappens

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 09:57:06 AM »
You can do it alot of ways, this is inside a cell

;D This is EXACTLY what I was looking to do! ;D

How did you do that?  ???

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 10:14:03 AM »
If I remember right for 2.5.11, you should be able to do it via the layout tab. You should be able to edit the cell of which you want it to appear in, and make the background be there.
---

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 11:58:50 AM »
If you use it as a Background you need to set the ( Width & Height ) but if you click inside the CONTENTS you will see Insert Image at the bottom you can just put it there without setting width & height......I took out some of the cells, But you can add what you want,.....If need you can right click anywhere on the main screen and Auto-size Screen.......I put  NAMES on each side, because I dont know how many people you are THANKING...... <marquee direction="up">Here's the name for line 1<br>
Here's the name for line 2<br>
Here's the name for line 3<br>
</marquee>
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 03:46:03 PM by TIMMER »